Author Topic: The Long Dark Sunday of My Youth  (Read 3750 times)

Offline marina

Re: The Long Dark Sunday of My Youth
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 14:02:32 PM »
Always dinner in our house.  Every day!  During the week mum would cook a dinner at 'dinnertime'. Me and my sister would walk home from school and dad would walk home from work then after dinner,  time to walk back again.  Would have been unthinkable to eat a main meal at night as is the norm now.  And it was never 'lunch'!

Definitely a pecking order in our house Ian - I was the youngest too!  : :)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 14:16:14 PM »
I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here about how boring a Sunday could be under the control of the god botherers.  However, they were not completely wrong as these days there is no special day of the week for families to get together - frightening as that may seem to some.  The day appears to have been given over to more retail therapy, indeed the big shops are looking to drive back the minimal Sunday trading protection so that people can do even more shopping...crazy!!  There's a balance to be struck but we should make (common) time for families.

UBT I have to disagree to a level with this as I see a surprising amount of families, single, multiple and extended out and about enjoying a walk and time together then on for lunch somewhere or for a late afternoon/evening bite to eat.

Visit any of the big parks or open spaces in and around London and they are awash with families enjoying to fresh air and I suspect that this is a reflection of lots of the mums and dads being stuck in offices and welcoming some time outside with the children etc.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 14:20:45 PM »
Definitely a pecking order in our house Ian - I was the youngest too!  :     :)
[/quote]

I never got to dip my bread in the dripping - but my elder brother loves it to this day :-)

Offline marina

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 15:17:44 PM »
Probably a good job I never liked dripping!    ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf