Author Topic: Tremor..Gulp  (Read 6103 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Tremor..Gulp
« on: August 19, 2014, 23:59:11 PM »
Bloody hell that was loud and scarey..The glass with spoons trick obviously works.  :-[ ??? :(

Offline davybill

Re: Tremor..Gulp
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »
what was?

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
I read on facebook that some people heard and felt it and said it sounded like an explosion! I would have been proper scared...
I am curious to know what the trick is re the glass and spoons  :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:29:57 AM »
 A teaspoon in a glass is a traditional Turkish early warning system - as soon a the ground starts to grumble, the spoon moves in the glass like an alarm. Often used beside the bed to alert people to get up and out. I have also heard of empty coke cans and the like being used - a few bunched together make a racket immediately there is any movement.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
Ah that is a great idea we are over next week so will probably be sleeping with a glass with a spoon in by the bed  ;)or a few spoons...I was a bit concerned to read it sounded like an explosion! When I was there for the one two years ago it was kind of like a train under the ground that was just before the earth moved!! 

Offline Menthol

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 14:04:36 PM »
I woke up to a sound that I thought was a bang on the ironwork on one of my windows/doors. Went back to sleep after looking through the window. However, my son and Mum who are here said they woke up very startled by how loud the bang was and they investigated the whole house before coming to the conclusion it was an earth tremor.

However the site that monitors and measures tremors the world over has no record of this http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/

So it seems it wasn't a tremor either. If anyone does find out what it was, please let us know.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 14:31:36 PM »
However the site that monitors and measures tremors the world over has no record of this http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/

The Boz university has a more detailed and accurate site listing all seismic activity in Turkey:

Latest Seismicity In Turkey

JF

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 16:56:36 PM »
Lots of people were talking about tins and cutlery after the 'big one' a couple of years ago because of aftershocks.
I decided I don't want to wake up terrified when I would otherwise sleep through it.
You're best off staying in bed under your covers to be honest, advice is not to go running outside.
If it's a big one likely to cause any harm you will almost certainly know about it unless you're a very heavy sleeper.
Weird that so many people heard this huge bang yet no one has heard what it was, very odd.

Eric posted some excellent links for what to do in a quake, don't have time to search at the mo, but some great advice.

Offline jondo

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
Yes JF, it does. But it has no records for August! So, the bang remains a mystery. Possibly a sonic boom?

Offline patrice

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
Hmmm that was what I was thinking jondo ... :-\ ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf