Author Topic: Is it time to sell up?  (Read 15749 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Is it time to sell up?
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2014, 13:09:15 PM »
I think there are two very different thngs here:

1. Those who own holiday homes.

2. Those who live in Turkey.

For the first bunch it makes no difference what is happening in the UK. It's what's happening in Turkey that counts as far as they are concerned.

For us it's not bad enough for us to consider selling up yet but then again we didn't sink all our savings in - nor did we take a loan/mortgage out to buy our property (and it was pretty cheap by comparison to some).

For the second bunch - they have to decide if Turkey is going to remain a better option for them than going back to the UK. Everyone has their own opinion on this and I guess only time will tell.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 13:22:37 PM »
Now im back from russia my next job is selling up it just aint the same anymore .   :)
Well we better meet up for a drinkie before you depart.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 13:33:10 PM »
I don't think that it is only The UK that people are moving too.... I know a few in Northern Cyprus, Bulgaria and Spain.....I also know at least 3 people who would leave if they could sell their properties...I remember Scunner saying that what was once quaint in Turkey when things go wrong eventually gets you down.. I must say that having heating, internet, constant hot water and electric that doesn't go off every other day is great as is not having to worry about healthcare etc../ Do I miss Fethiye and our lives out there? Absolutely.... Which is why we have been back 5 times in a year.... Are we sorry we sold up.. Absolutely not but it is great being a tourist....

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2014, 14:41:54 PM »
Tangentially, yes.

JF
Rubbish John, nothing to do with it at all. ???

You the "topic police" then?

JF

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2014, 15:40:11 PM »
Of course  John, someone has to do it.  ;)  :)  :)

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2014, 17:53:15 PM »
RTE's idea of zero interest rates will not encourage any investment on a small scale. i.e you and me with our "bit in the bank". Whether this is of any significance to the government coffers or not I don't know.

When we came here, 7 years ago, the exchange rate was about 2.5TL/£1 and interest rates were roughly 15 - 18%. Lots of people who relied on the interest to live had to either leave or tighten their belts significantly when that rate dropped. 

Whether now is the time to sell up rather depends on how you use your property, we owned and sold and now rent, but still live here full time. When we sold we consider a move back to the UK, but decided that our quality of life was still better here than in the UK. In short we could afford to live well here for a lot less than in the UK. This is still the case.

At least having no property to consider, if the political situation becomes such that we feel uncomfortable here, then we can go somewhere else more easily.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2014, 17:59:39 PM »
May I ask why you sold up? It might help other people thinking about buying.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2014, 18:11:37 PM »
May I ask why you sold up? It might help other people thinking about buying.

You may Colwyn. We bought an apartment in a block of 6 with a pool. Three were English owned, two as holiday homes and us living there, the other three were Turkish owned but rented out to Turks. The English owners ended up paying for all the maintenance, but as soon as the pool was ready the Turkish renters would invite all their family to come and stay for the summer. We couldn't get near our pool and the place became a cross between a noisy creche and a rubbish tip. Added to that the builders' family lived in the basement illegally and walked around treating the place like they owned it all.
We got so fed up that we went and rented an apartment on a complex in Calis and off loaded it to a Turkish family from Mersin.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2014, 18:35:37 PM »
Thank you. Seems similar in some ways to slikmrs story.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Very much so Colwyn, none of which we knew when we bought in the winter. Lesson learned, with hindsight we should have bought a villa or semi with NO communal facilities. As things stand we are now in that position with our current rental and quite happy. But would not buy again for various reasons.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf