Author Topic: Is it time to sell up?  (Read 15160 times)

Offline lissa

Re: Is it time to sell up?
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2014, 21:22:46 PM »
I thought of relocating to N Cyprus a few years ago. I have visited there a number of times but decided in the end, it was not for me. I have a number of friends in N Cyprus and know many of them choose to come to Turkey for medical care. Fine if you have the time to do so and also the money to do this. To be honest this was not what put me off N Cyprus. I just felt that the parameters of an island, and certainly those of a small part of that island, did not suit me. I know you can go through to the southern part of the island and have been there myself from the north, but this does not change the feeling of the island, to me,it  just reinforces the feeling of a divided island. Saying that, I would certainly recommend a visit there, certainly to go to Bellapais Abbey and that area.  And I will go there this winter, though just for a visit, not to move to! Just a pity there are no flights directly from Dalaman to N Cyprus now.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2014, 21:28:48 PM »
I read that Northern Cyprus had become the new 'Costa del Crime' since Spain isn't the safe haven it once was. TRNC not being recognised by most countries means no extradition - does anyone know if that is true?

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2014, 22:33:55 PM »
I heard this too, was chatting to a friend while over there recently and he said he knows some big drug dealer guy who cant leave the country as will be arrested but can stay in TRNC and no one can touch him.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2014, 23:09:44 PM »
It certainly worked for Azil Nazir before he gave himself up. 

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
Are you asking that out of personal interest, Scunner?
What have you been up to?
 ;D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »
A valid (and I assume tongue in cheek) question Wordy. I am banned for life from Turkey and also England so this may be good. No not really :D

I've done the living abroad thing, I am now absolutely at peace with the UK and appreciate it all the more. The reason for asking was that I note people moving on to Plan B from Turkey and it seems those who go to TRNC seem to find it more laid back, better social scene, less red tape - it sounds like Turkey+

One thing I do know is that paradise always comes at a price, and maybe being surrounded by some of Europe's most wanted criminals might well be that price in Northern Cyprus.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »
The Turkish press reported a 20% decrease in property sales in July 2014.

This article makes for interesting reading raising a number of issues worthy of thought.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/04/arabs-buy-turkey-property.html#

Offline WordBird

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2014, 13:57:37 PM »
I never doubted you for a moment, Scunner.  ;D

Being serious and back on topic (more or less) I am increasingly convinced that we did the right thing in renting.
The original plan was to rent for two years and then look to buy somewhere but we may actually stick with how things are, assuming we don't fall out of love with our new home in that time.

I will be watching with interest to see how things move/change over the next two years; I don't think now is the right time to buy for newbies like us, but I also intend to cling on by my fingernails to stay in the place where my heart tells me I need to be.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2014, 15:11:12 PM »
Is that Kaya or the area generally.?

Follow your dreams.

Offline WordBird

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2014, 15:28:58 PM »
Both.
I love the area as a whole, of course, but Kaya is my Utopia.
I know I haven't done a full winter yet but I was here for quite a bit of it last/this year so it shouldn't change my mind....Don't know about the other two though!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf