Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122636 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2015, 18:42:15 PM »
OMG, I've done it again :-[  In my eagerness to send the Thursday post, and check that I was sending the correct post, I didn't scroll down sufficiently and forgot that I'd posted two blogs last week -  to try to satisfy my avid readers  ;). Senior moment x 2! Unforgivable! You see, I've just seen pictures of our new road, kindly sent by Quackers and was simply too excited to think straight. How many more excuses can I think up…mmm that will do for the moment. 
OK, here is the CORRECT blog, and now, I'm really concentrating:

…………………..
LATE FEBRUARY 2010   Palm Court Apartment, Calis Beach

BLOG 16: Change of plans

Oz, the Infinity ‘supersalesman’ together with L, are walking me around the new site where five villas will be built, each on its own individual walled plot, each with its own pool.

As we were the first to buy and choose our original plot on the previous site, we obviously have first choice as to which plot we want this time around.  At first sight, this area certainly does appear to be better than the original site: for a start, there is a lovely forest fronting the road directly opposite where two villas will be built. The choice is clear to me: I want a villa that overlooks the forest i.e. opposite the forest, a corner plot so the road frontage is large. There are two that match this, adjacent to each other – so my natural choice is the one that is slightly closer to the sea, which I understand is within 10 minutes walk away.

The area is bounded on two sides by paved roads but the road adjacent to the forest is as yet unpaved, no pavements and quite muddy and bumpy. Oz  waves this aside – “there’s hardly any traffic anyway”. He is (naturally) very enthusiastic about the plot, telling me that they had to persuade one of the property owners to sell off part of their garden to gain enough land to build all the villas. What is left unsaid is that they obviously did all this with the deadline of my visit in mind, as they did not wish to lose us – but did not inform us of the situation beforehand just in case we pulled out.  I walk around the plot with L and Oz and try to think around all aspects of the change, but whichever way I look at it, the positives certainly outweigh the negatives of the delay in building. This plot is slightly bigger, with a better outlook (the forest) and closer to the sea. It’s within a few minutes walk of an outdoor bar/café called ‘The Escape Bar’ and a further few minutes from some small shops and a supermarket. Great! All that remains is now for me to clearly state which plot is for us, and then for them finally to make a start! How soon? Let’s get back to the office, change the contract and get going!

I have to decide how much of this information to impart to OH, who is at home. He thinks that all I am doing is choosing furniture with L. I don’t want him to worry and certainly don’t want him to have second thoughts about this new adventure in our lives. To tell or not to tell at this stage: that is the question. Will he have confidence in me to negotiate the new contract? Yes, I think so, but he would really worry about it all and possibly begin to regret our decision to buy.

I decide to smooth over the cracks until I have spoken to the directors, K and S. One thing is for sure, I want to make some amendments to the contract re the finishing date and penalties for late finishing if that should happen! Seems I’ll have to wait until tomorrow morning to see them. I want to be able to tell OH good news.

Back in the Infinity flat, Palm Court (I’d hardly call it “luxury”; it’s chilly and damp), I jot down some points for the amendments to contract: same finishing date as original contract, monthly penalties for late finishing, payment for any further trips from UK to view work in progress, pictures to be sent as promised, better communication on their part. . . Wonder if they’ll make it tough for me…

…….

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2015, 19:03:26 PM »
I've only just started reading this topic and to be honest, I really like it and look forward to future installments. However, this builder has installed you into one of their "Luxury" apartments which is chilly and damp, mislead you terribly (lied to you) and from what I've read so far, you are thinking of continuing with them?

I salute your confidence, as for me, no way!

Maybe a twist at the end?

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2015, 19:23:48 PM »
Rimms, you are right, of course. I absolutely agree. Inch by inch, one gets enticed into the dream and as we all know, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
As for the twist at the end - guess you'll just have to wait and see, unless you want to join the witches coven meeting in Koca Calis, Angel Bar, at 2 p.m. on 8 June? Then, all will be revealed. Until then, the blog goes on - and on -

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2015, 13:00:27 PM »
Absolutely love this really well written and always leaves you hanging 

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2015, 15:50:36 PM »

Great blog Arty

Mrs Badger   :)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »
LATE FEBRUARY 2010   InfinityExpress offices, Fethiye

BLOG 17: The big meeting

Well, I wanted to see them face to face: the directors, K and S. Will they apologise for not informing us of these changes before I made the trip out here?

I am again sitting upstairs in the impressive conference room with its large glass windows overlooking the panorama of beautiful Fethiye harbour. What a view!

It’s a replay. I’m warmly greeted. M is serving me tea. S is smiling and welcoming me back to Fethiye. I expected to see K also, but he’s not here. There’s no sign of either L, or the secretary, C.

The revised plans are on the table, plans of the new plots in the new location. We are here to draw up a new contract, S explains. That’s fine, I say, I’ve chosen my plot and I point it out on the plans. I’m about to mention that there will be some additional amendments that I’d like to make in this new contract, but I stop short – noticing a strange expression on S’s face.  And she’s no longer smiling. Before I can even get another word out, she stands up, walks to the door, excuses herself and closes the door! I’m puzzled. I did not get a chance to discuss amendments – can’t be that. Is she ill? What now? I’m left to wait and ponder, while M hovers in the background, dying to pour me more tea.

A couple of minutes tick by, very s-l-o-w-l-y. “More tea?” “NO! Where has S gone?”.He doesn’t speak much English but I guess he gets my meaning as he shrugs and looks toward the door.

Finally the door opens and in comes S, this time flanked by K. They dismiss M and he bows out, tea tray in hand. No more tea for me. Seems to me he’s even a bit afraid of them.

They march in and seat themselves opposite me at the table. They both look serious.  Now I’m really worried.

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2015, 13:11:38 PM »
Maybe they have run out of tea!
Great blog...... You may have to do a Tuesday & Thursday episode... Can't wait....

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2015, 14:26:40 PM »
You can't leave it there......... :o ???

Offline Menthol

« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2015, 20:55:44 PM »

Offline suehugh

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
Artimar
Do you realise that the demographic of most of your readers is that of an ageing, ailing, wasting away
Type and that you are not letting us drift of happily into our dotage.
Next Thursday !

Have pity

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf