Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122833 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2015, 19:55:10 PM »
Thursday's the day for updates. In the meantime, here I am in Calis Beach Kerim Restaurant watching (well, actually, my back is to the screen) the Barcelona Champions League final with son and OH. I'm having grilled chicken and pineapple with the usual accompaniment of chips, rice and salad.

Keep on reading' and I'll keep on bloggin' . . . there's much more to come and- still coming-

Beautiful weather here in Calis, not too hot - lovely sea breeze. A good place  to buy a villa 8)

Witches, see ya soon! ;D

Offline Menthol

« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2015, 17:29:29 PM »
Lovely to have met Arty and Gillian today. Also good to meet Roger, Gillian's husband and Arty's son and husband too.

We did think Echogirl was going to turn up too .....

Beautiful villa, Arty and thank you so very much for the beautiful artwork. <3

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2015, 18:24:06 PM »
Great to meet you too, Menthol, at last! And to meet Gillian and Roger - such fun, putting real people to online ones! Echogirl, what happened to you? We were looking forward to you joining the coven!

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2015, 13:49:25 PM »
Lovely to meet you and your family ArtyMar, and the artwork is already hanging on my wall....it's beautiful....thank you so much.... Also lovely to meet you Menthol, and thank you for taking us home... I had a lovely afternoon and I'm sure it won't be long before we arrange another coven.

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2015, 13:57:08 PM »
Oops! CBF members...forgot to mention..... ArtyMar gave nothing away about her blog...she's making us all wait till Thursday!. Not even a clue!....Can't wait.....

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2015, 16:34:34 PM »
LATE FEBRUARY 2010  Fethiye

BLOG 20: shopping fast and furious

Now, at last, what I’ve come for: shopping! L turns up at the appointed time (what do you know!): 9 a.m. Firstly, we’re off to an architect’s design studio where I’ll choose kitchen layout, tiles, surface finishes etc. A guy sits at his desk with pc on the table in front of him. Yes, sink here, cooker here, fridge/freezer there, cupboards over here. What colours? Green would be nice, a bit different. What about matching green tiles? No, better have beige ones, they’ll go better with the marble floor. Hey presto, with a few clicks of the mouse, the kitchen appears on screen. This is fun! And it’s real, (or will be) - not just a pretty image. At last, the villa is taking shape. Never has a kitchen been designed so fast!

Next stop: a place that sells white goods. We whizz around the shop. Huge fridge, gas cooker that will be supplied with gas from a large cylinder installed in the cupboard adjacent to the cooker, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave. Written down, ticked off, done!

Next stop: furniture. We’re shopping at a rate of knots. My head is spinning, but this is L’s job and she’s good at it. Choosing furniture is a bit trickier, firstly because there are more items, secondly there’s a much greater choice, and thirdly I must decide whether I want to pay more for something I really like. The ‘basic’ range of furniture is included in the villa price but there’s a ‘medium’ price range and a ‘deluxe’ range. Where possible, I stick to the ‘basic’ range but it’s hard to remember that I won’t be living here full-time. As I’m rushed from one floor to the next, I draw breath and think, actually – I’d like more time. In fact, a lot more time. If all this is coming from the overall villa price, I’d like to explore other shops at my leisure – perhaps some that have a real Turkish flavor.  Ideally, I’d like to look for, say, wrought iron furniture, perhaps upholstered with oriental/Turkish fabrics – I’d like to give the villa more of a unique, oriental Turkish style. Not possible, no time – those aren’t the shops we deal with, says L.

Everything must be chosen in these last few hours. Can’t help but think: “if your bosses hadn’t wasted time earlier we wouldn’t have such a rush now”, but I’m really keen that there are no more obstacles to the villa being ready for occupation by the end of June. What about lighting? ‘No’ says L, ‘no time – anyway, you’ll be pleased with the lighting that comes with the villa.’ Guess, I’ll see – if unhappy, there’ll be time to change lights once the villa is actually built. Just passed an interesting lighting shop with intricate coloured lanterns in the window. ‘Let’s stop there for a minute – look at those lanterns!’  ‘No time’, says L ‘– we haven’t chosen bathroom tiles and bathroom fitments yet.’ I take another deep breath.

Next stop: large store with bathroom tiles, baths, toilets, basins, vanity units, showers, shower screens and a million and one other bathroom related items. My single top-of-the-range item that I just can’t resist is one of those fixed unit extra large shower heads that you stand under and it gives a great extra wide shower experience. I’ve always admired them – we’ll have one in the ensuite for the main bedroom. Yes!

It’s weird, shopping for a whole house in one day. At first it was exciting and exhilarating. Now, it’s exhausting. There’s no time for deliberation. What tiles for the bathrooms and cloak room? Should each have a different style/colour/type? No time! Easier to have everything the same. Is that a good idea – give the villa a unified bathroom style? Don’t know, no time to consider! Must move on! What’s next? Outdoor furniture! Another shop, let’s go!

Next stop: Electronic items? TV, DVD player, hairdryer. After that, crockery/cutlery/ pots and pans, toaster, bins and more. 

Unbelievably, we have completed our shopping by the end of the day. Don’t ask me what we’ve bought. I wrote the items down on my floor plans during the process and will have to review them in the quiet of the flat later- and the cost of the extras that I succumbed to. Phew! But the mad rush means that I won’t have to return before we come on holiday at the end of June – to stay in our very own dream villa. Let’s hope I don’t regret my choices. We’ll have to live with them for a long time to come. We stopped for a quick snack earlier. Now we sit down for a Turkish meal, but my mind is on the beautiful villa that I’ve just finished furnishing. Wow!

Next stop: Palm Court Apartment. Never mind reviewing my purchases. As my head hits the pillow, I’m asleep. I dream of toilets and shower heads.

Tomorrow I head back home to tell OH of my exploits. I’m looking forward to telling him that I bought all the furniture and fitments for the villa in a day. Oh, and by the way, there’s a change of location and a few other things. . .
………………

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2015, 17:36:30 PM »
Well done ArtyMar....Roger & I are were with you in every shop...were also exhausted!!! I'm sure your OH will be glad he didn't have to race around and I'm sure your choices are perfect. I'm sad to say that next Thursdays blog will be read by us in the UK....but.....we will be back!!!!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2015, 18:41:30 PM »
Goodness! Shopping at the speed of light. That was quite an achievement!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
Alas, next Thursday we'll also be back in the UK, Gillian. The weather is glorious right now - not only bright sunny skies, not so hot that we need air con, and a lovely sea breeze.  8) Perfect! I've just completed a large seahorse, made from OH's collection of pebbles, put on with plaster onto one of the pillars. I'm now planning a turtle pillar and a yacht scene with sea and mountains on the exterior wall - to be created with various shades and sizes of pebbles. May have to go to the Surf Cafe beach to collect some more. . .
Just a few more days here before we head back :(

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
Just arrived back in the UK from Calis and needed to get on here and explain why I didn't get to our meet up.  First picture the scene, I am wearing a new strappy summer dress with my new cork heeled sandals and my new floppy sun hat (trying to make a good impression).  In my bag is a bottle of wine for Arty Mar and chocs for whoever else is there.  Just before leaving the apartment I see the washing machine has stopped, so I decide to wait a minute and put it out.  When all was quiet, I opened the door and water poured into the kitchen!!. I couldn't read the machine instructions (all in Turkish) and had left it on the cycle where the water stays in the machine till you press the drain cycle!!. Standing in the water by now lapping over my new sandals I try in vain to shut the door , in doing so I slipped and dropped the bottle of wine and the chocs in the water.  My foot slipped and I sat looking like a drowned wallflower of the kitchen, first crying then laughing till rescued by my friend who was out by the pool.  Needless to say the next hour was spent with mop and bucket and every towel in the place clearing up!! So I send sincere apologies and assure you I was nearly on my way.  ps the sandals are ruined!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf