Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122656 times)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #240 on: October 08, 2015, 22:01:01 PM »
Be4 he finally died aged just 47 my husband was in hospital for 7 weeks after a stem sell transplant, we waited every day for his platelet results which stayed stubbornly at zero, the day after his counts showed signs of a slight recovery he contracted mrsa, your story reminded me of my own but in your case I know the outcome was positive I have relived your time watching your husband in intensive care in my case it was over Christmas and I sat by his bed watching his life ebb away.  I feel for what you went through xx

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #241 on: October 08, 2015, 22:07:16 PM »
ArtyMar & OH....thinking of you and your family...
Hope you had a good flight back yesterday... We bought the sunshine back to UK....maybe for 1 day!! Roll on next Blog Thursday....

??? :o

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #242 on: October 08, 2015, 23:52:41 PM »
Echogirl1, thank you. Your story is tragic - to pass away so young, and just when there were seeds of hope, it must have been heartbreaking. So sorry to hear this. I don't want to think that my blog is giving you more heart ache. It will lighten up (hopefully) - it seems to follow its own course. xx

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2015, 15:52:07 PM »
October 2010  London

BLOG 38:  a waiting game

In a funny kind of way, we’re getting used to the situation, getting into a kind of routine. My whole day is spent at the hospital, in and out of the family waiting room together with my daughter – my sons have had to return to work. Daughter is a great support. We hold hands just before we go to visit OH’s bedside; we are used to the routine of walking up the corridor, washing hands at the sink, donning our plastic aprons, approaching the bed and getting the nod from the IT nurse that it’s ok to go close. They are gradually reducing the oxygen supply when it seems warranted to encourage him to breathe on his own. This is a good sign. I understand better how the blonde woman, Mavis is her name, in the waiting room feels about the signs relating to her Dad. Daughter and I are buoyant though Daughter warns me that we’ll only know more when he regains consciousness. When will that be? He has undergone so much. Are his kidneys permanently damaged? What about brain damage – a real possibility after the prolonged surgeries with attendant long anaesthetics and massive blood loss. Daughter should know a lot about this. Her field of research is the brain and how it processes language – in this, she is a leader in the field. But she can’t answer these big questions. Only OH will have the answers, when he wakes up and can respond.

He lies there, on his high bed – still as a stone, attached to tubes and monitors.

I whisper in his ear: “Darling OH, wake up now! We need you!”

The nurse passes by to check on the equipment. I say to her, hopefully without despair in my voice: “Do you think he can hear us?”
She is sweet, a young Chinese woman with a ready smile. “I don’t know, but it is possible. When someone is unconscious, hearing is the most likely sense to remain active. Talk to him. It does no harm.”

Until now, I have been stroking him, planting kisses on his forehead (his mouth has a breathing tube stuck inside). What shall I say to him – lying there, so still? We should make the most of our time with him and this gives us a new purpose. Daughter and I discuss it – I think what we say should be meaningful. Daughter says, yes and no. What we say to him should be designed to provoke him into consciousness or remind him of important events in the past. Hmmm. Provoke. OH is very keen on current affairs and politics. Some politicians he admires and some, he positively dislikes. So let’s start with those he dislikes. That should provoke him! I tell Daughter their names and we take turns in reciting them to him together with snippets we gather from newspapers left in the waiting room. We watch carefully for any response. None. If OH can hear, he must think we’ve gone mad.

How about singing to him, suggests Daughter. I laugh. Well, my singing should provoke a response, that’s for sure. I’m tone deaf and whenever I sing when amongst my musical family, one or more will join in to correct me. Particularly OH. He’ll say “repeat after me” and sing the first line of a song, then the first note. I’ll try manfully (or womanfully) and it will come out flat. Then with much patient repetition and trial, I might finally get the note right but the cheer of triumph will be short lived, because the next time, I’ll again sing flat – somewhat disheartening for any teacher. My singing is the subject of a (well meaning) family joke. So, I’ll sing to him, but what song? It must be a song that has some special significance for us. I know! I’ll sing the song he sang for me when I was in labour with our daughter, an amusing song from his childhood in South Africa. He’ll remember it for sure. It’s about a little boy nagging his father to be taken to the cinema (called Bioscope in South Africa) and (sung with a thick Afrikaans accent):

“Ach, pleez Daddy, won’t you take us to the Bioscope, all six seven of us, eight, nine, ten.
There’s gonna be a flic about Tarzan (pronounced Torzan) and the Apeman,
And when the show is over you can take us back again.

(Chorus: )
Popcorn, lollypops, peanuts and bubble gum
Icecream, candyfloss and Eskimo Pie,
We wanna see a flic about Torzan and the Ape Man (pause)
And when the show is over, you can bring us back again!”

I sing it, tunefully or not, I can’t tell, but judging from the odd grimace on Daughter’s face, probably not. 
No response from OH, sadly. Daughter says to keep trying, so we do so until our time at bedside is up.
We return dutifully to the family room, throwing our aprons into the bin as we go.

On the way, we pass King-of-the-Jungle, no longer in his jungle gear. He gives us a mournful smile. I don’t smile back. That man irritates me.

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline Menthol

« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2015, 22:38:53 PM »
So poignant.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2015, 17:01:53 PM »
October 2010  London

BLOG 39:  Can you hear us?

Lately, in our visits to the bedside, Daughter and I have been taking it in turns, so OH gets more of our time. I’m in the family room, listlessly reading a book when I hear Daughter flying back down the corridor towards me, tearing off her apron. “Quickly! Come quickly, I got a response!” I throw my hospital paperback down and we rush back to the bedside, pausing to wash hands and don aprons as we go. “What happened?” I ask breathlessly. Daughter says, she was whispering in his ear, and holding his hand. She said: “if you can hear me, Dad, squeeze my hand”.  She said she then felt a slight pressure on her hand. “Are you sure?” I ask as we enter the ward. “Yes! Yes!”

This time, at the bedside, she repeats what she said previously, and I hold his hand. “Dad, Mum is holding your hand. If you can hear my voice, squeeze her hand!”. All my senses are alert for any response, but I can’t feel anything. Maybe, King-of-the-Jungle is right: we are kidding ourselves that we see or feel a response due to wishful thinking and projection. I feel desperately let down. We try again. Still no response. Daughter, ever resourceful, says “let’s try something different. Maybe the hand squeezing is too difficult for him.  . .”

She bends close to his ear and says: “Dad, it’s G here, your daughter! I’ve come to see you from America. If you can hear me, squeeze your EYES. “
We both fix our eyes on his, closed for so long. There is a flicker! We both see it! A definite flicker or slight movement of his eyelids. We can hardly suppress our excitement. I see King-of-the-Jungle passing by on his rounds and fly out of the ward to tell him – my voice overloud and triumphant. “Look, we got a response!” He moves with me to the bedside and we do a repeat performance. Again, there is that slight flicker. We both turn to him, eager for his confirmation. He shakes his head mournfully and says again it is very common for a patient in a coma to give the occasional twitch. It means nothing. We should not raise our hopes because of this. He continues mournfully on his way.

Daughter and I look at each other. Daughter puts her arm around me. “Mum, we both know what we saw. He didn’t do this yesterday. It was definitely in response to what I said. “  Yes, she’s right and King-of-the-Jungle, is wrong. But we need something a bit more definite. This time, Daughter whispers in his ear: “Dad, if you can hear this, squeeze your eyes TWICE”. We wait, staring intently at OH’s eyes. Flicker (once) and . . . flicker again (two flickers!). Yes! Not once, but twice! We both saw it. No mistaking it this time. We dance up and down on the spot, causing the ITU nurse to come running. “Look!” we tell her joyfully, ”Look! He’s responding!” That’s very good news, she agrees, but our bedside time is up, so we return to the waiting room, uplifted, the first time in ages.

We can’t wait to phone the good news to the boys, and tell the family.

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
Can't imagine how that felt for you both.    :) :'(  :)

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
ArtyMar...you owe me a box of tissues!! Great blog.....Amazing....

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2015, 13:59:08 PM »
cant wait for more xx

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2015, 20:55:20 PM »
Thank you so much, Echogirl1, Gillian, Menthol, Bluwise for your encouraging comments. Gillian, when we next meet up at The Angel Bar, I'll come armed with those tissues!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf