Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122587 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2016, 14:56:17 PM »
Stooooooppppop iiiiiiiit !!!!!  We need more........ :'(

Offline babcc

• It is, what it is!
« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
Now I know why I usually bulk read your posts because of the suspense!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2016, 21:28:57 PM »

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #353 on: March 17, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »
End of March 2011  London

BLOG 60  Booked!

On first reading, my heart leaps.  Yes! L says ‘Yes. The villa is progressing well. It should be ready by the due date, 30 June’.
But there are no further images attached. Then I re-read her email again, analyzing every word. Should be ready? Not will be ready?

I decide to re-read the contract, though by now I am losing faith in Turkish contracts. Nevertheless, it must stand for something. At the time of negotiating the rewrite last year, I thought it a smart move to include a paragraph that stated that if for any reason, the villa was not completed by the finish date we would be able to travel and be accommodated free of charge by the company. We would also be compensated for every month of lateness, coming off the final price. It was specified that the accommodation would be a villa of similar size and quality as our own. In that way, we would still have a holiday and be able to check over the villa in situ.  The thought of that makes me feel better. At the same time I think it prudent to book our flight for August – a full four weeks after the due date. As far as Infinity is concerned though, we are coming end of June/ beginning July – come hell or high-water. Déjà vue from last year.

So I go online: Monarch airlines from Luton, our nearest airport, and check flights. Can’t believe it: £900 for two in high season! Oh well, here goes – if Infinity is true to form, the money won’t be coming out of our pockets. One of these days, we’ll be holidaying in our own villa and maybe that day will be in only a few more months!

I email L and tell her that I have now booked our flights and can’t wait to see our villa finally finished as promised. Roll on June.

We'll see . . .

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline sadler

« Reply #354 on: March 17, 2016, 16:04:09 PM »
Uh, uh, I feel a fall coming!  :o

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2016, 17:43:18 PM »
I'm sure your flight will be on time...no cancellations....not like today.... Does the contract say how many persons are included in the clause for free flights & holiday if not completed........??? We might just join you...x

Offline barbara-les

« Reply #356 on: March 21, 2016, 21:25:23 PM »
  It's been better reading than the best book I have ever read. I can't belive I am in the same situation as all of your followers so quickly. Can't wait till Thursday

Offline barbara-les

« Reply #357 on: March 21, 2016, 21:33:32 PM »
 Forgot to say, I have a flat in Calis and we have been visiting twice a year for a few weeks at a time and fortunally had no delays, change of departure time in the last 11 years. I hope I can pass on to you my good luck in that respect but we do travel from Manchester perhaps that is  the secrect. Good luck on your empending trip.   

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2016, 16:17:21 PM »
ArtyMar.......It's Thursday.......have you forgot something??

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2016, 16:31:53 PM »

End of April 2011  London

BLOG 61 Coping 

It’s nearly May already and its ages since I’ve received an attachment with images of progress on the villa. Has there been much progress? What is L playing at? – very little I fear.

On the home front OH is making a slow but steady recovery. He’s using his walker to get around and is also using the new banisters, holding both sides, to go up and downstairs. The carers come and go – I hardly ever see the same face twice – very disconcerting for poor OH.  If I’m not home, they let themselves in via a special key coded system outside the front door. Today, after I get home from work, I read the carer’s report: a new person, K, whose signature I can’t decipher but she leaves a little drawing with her report. Nice. Who is she? OH says cryptically that she “knows me”. Turns out she’s one of my ex students. Having left college, she’s not doing art as a career (no great surprise) but has signed up to a Carers Agency for the NHS. She was a somewhat ‘ditsy’ student in my classes, invariably late, never doing set homework, giggling uncontrollably with her friend Elizabeth. Once the two turned up to class dressed as fairies complete with pink tutu dresses and wings attached to their shoulders (this is not so unusual considering they were both teenagers and art students).  They still caused quite a stir – especially with the boys – I’m glad there was no inspection that day!
However, I had an ace up my sleeve in regard to discipline. Her mother is the receptionist at my dentist, and if K became too disruptive in class, I would casually mention that I have an upcoming appointment with the dentist. It always had a miraculous effect. Now here she was in my own home, caring for my OH. What next! OH though, said she was ‘lovely’ and ‘good fun’, so that’s fine . . . I guess.  Hopefully it won’t be too long before we can say goodbye to carers all together.  OH tires quickly and he can’t concentrate for long, but with time, I’m hopeful that he’ll get back to his old self. I say this to him, and he says “less emphasis on the old”. He hasn’t lost his sense of humour.

On a weekly basis, I email L at Infinity saying how we’re building up toward our trip to Turkey to stay in our new villa – how much OH is looking forward to it. I don’t mention that OH is occupied day-by-day, minute-by-minute, coping with life in the present, not the future. But for me: yes, I’m coping with day-to-day life – rushing to work in the morning after making sure OH has what he needs to hand, coping with students and college matters during the day and rushing home to cook for us, and look after OH at night. But beyond that, I’m not living in the present. I’m dreaming of the future – our dream villa in the Sun.   

Dreaming – and worrying.   

----------------------------------------

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf