Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 120813 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #340 on: February 28, 2016, 16:10:34 PM »
Would be nice but won't be there yet  :(

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #341 on: February 28, 2016, 18:07:40 PM »
Saturday 4th June sounds good..... 2pm?? Wizards & Witches....?? Toil & Trouble.... All Welcome....

Offline sadler

« Reply #342 on: February 28, 2016, 18:15:16 PM »
Sounds good to me!  :)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2016, 23:22:08 PM »

Saturday 4th June sounds good..... 2pm?? Wizards & Witches....?? Toil & Trouble.... All Welcome....

Sorted! Put it in your diaries fellow Wizards & Witches. See you there: Angel Bar/Cafe, Koca Calis!

Offline babcc

• It is, what it is!
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2016, 13:03:39 PM »
So as per usual I do a bulk read and cannot wait to read the next instalment.  I am definitely reading it tomorrow as want to see if the stinging email has had the desired effect.  More important glad that hubby is making good progress. Fab reading. 

Coming out in August - not been to our apartment in three years.  Cannot wait - not counted the sleepsl right now they seem endless!   :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »

End February 2011  London

BLOG 58 Really?

Things at home are improving: I now have time to think about Turkey and am not so caught up in the present that I can’t think about the future. The whole point of buying and building the villa was to fulfill that dream of having a place abroad in the sun where everyday worries float away – a  peaceful place away from the constant crush of people, traffic, commitments and  heavy skies. That place still exists but I can’t seem to reach it. Now OH is getting better – admittedly slower than I’d hoped – I want us to get there.

The time is fast approaching when I’ll be returning to work. Instead of working full time, I’ll go for two days a week. It will be strange to go back to the different world of boisterous teenage students, hurried tea and chats in the staff room, marking online registers, being a disciplinarian when students are late or misbehaving, being a grown-up friend when they’re upset about something (usually a broken romance with a fellow student), marking portfolios, keeping up with endless emails and demands from management and writing assignments. Very different to the hospital world and that of the home-carer-wife.

We are getting used to our routine and changed circumstances – to living an upstairs/downstairs life as far as sleeping arrangements are concerned. If OH keeps up his progress, it won’t be long before he can move upstairs.

I receive an unexpected email from L and there are attachments! My entreaties/threats have finally had some effect! When I open the attachments I can see that a little progress on the building has taken place. It seems that the company responds to the latest, loudest demand – which tells me that I must keep on demanding. This will be exhausting. I then respond thanking her for the email but demanding faster progress so that our villa catches up to those of our Russian neighbours. I note that the latest photos do not show even a corner of their villas (unsurprisingly!). I remind her that the next tranche of money, according to the revised contract, will only be paid once the grass is planted. My reasoning for this clause at the time I negotiated the revised contract was that grass would only be planted when the building was more or less complete (so that the garden would not be ruined by heavy boots and machinery).

The final £7000 is due right at the end, after “snagging”. Snagging is the correction of all the little things that one can only find by occupying the villa for a couple of weeks. I was thinking that if we holidayed there during July – a few weeks after the deadline for villa completion (when the weekly penalties kick in), that would give us a chance to see outstanding issues for the snagging list and make sure they were corrected. In hindsight, seeing how slowly things are progressing, correcting snagging issues while we are there now seems a forlorn hope. But then, I guess I’m an optimistic person: I live in hope. As for the Tapu, which I’d been told was important to receive, the contract stated that it would be exchanged upon receipt of final payment. At the time of signing this revised contract, all this seemed perfectly reasonable.

The big questions looming are:
Will the villa really be ready by end of June?
Will OH then really be well enough to travel?
Will we really be able to assess the snagging issues in the limited time we’ll be there?
Will Infinity really fix up these issues sufficiently in such a short time or provide evidence for us to part with the remaining money?
Will we then really get our Tapu as promised?
Really?

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2016, 14:36:00 PM »
Agony waiting for Thursday :-[

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2016, 18:31:12 PM »
You are so good at suspense Artymar - I wish you weren't   ;)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2016, 13:50:24 PM »
March 2011  London

BLOG 59 decisions

It dawns on me that we should book our tickets to Dalaman very soon. If we leave it to the Summer, the prices will be sky-high. Now the situation and decisions are becoming critical.  The doctors say that if OH continues his recuperation, he should be able to travel. As a precaution, he’ll take a blood thinning injection 48 hours before leaving and again on arrival. This will avoid the chance of post-operative blood clots. The sunshine and change of scene should do him good. As for me, I feel excited at the thought of staying in our new villa. At last! Just thinking about it gives me a glow. Then I come down to earth. I dare not book unless it will be ready. What to do?  So, I email L (and as usual, bcc all the others) and put the dilemma to her. “The contract promises that the villa will be ready for occupation by the end of June. We must book now to get reasonably priced airfare tickets. Will the villa be ready on time?”
A week goes by while I bite my nails waiting for a reply. Then I get it.

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2016, 14:01:47 PM »

Tease. !!!             :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf