Author Topic: New Indian Restaurant  (Read 13700 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: New Indian Restaurant
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 22:15:37 PM »
As a  connoisseur of Indian food Scunner,  I will not believe you until you try the Indian Restaurants in Calis and let me know how they compare.   I have no idea.  I make my own curries and we only have one Indian in our local area, however, they have won awards and the Indian in Calis seemed the same as our Indian locally.
I have also eaten at the Italians in Calis. I have eaten in Italy and the Italian Restaurants in New York and although the Calis ones are good, there is no comparison.
So, I would say to be really sure you need to try the food in the country of origin then you will be an expert and able to comment with full knowledge.  ;D :angel:

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 22:26:00 PM »
But you disprove your own argument yourself  :D

You have had Italian meals in Italy and New York and those you have had in Calis don't compare - so it is believable that the same is true of Indian meals?

I don't need to try, I have tried in several "Indian" restaurants in the area - some tasty but not one even close to what I can have here in the UK.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 23:06:14 PM »
I will have to go to Indian to see if that is true, so when I go, I will let you know.  In the meantime will just have to keep on with the Calis and Peterhead Indians.
I would actually like to go to Indian, but everyone I know that has gone has ended up with Deli Belly which puts me off going.  However, it does look lovely, but Phil is not at all keen.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 23:25:24 PM »
Can't trust those delhicatessens in Indian!  ;D

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 08:09:45 AM »
indian currys are cooked for the how the english expect them to be ,indian curries in india are nothing like like the ones you get in uk or turkey i found them to be tasty not over hot and very thin sauce if they come with sauce ,plenty of different spices .

Offline philrose

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »
Agreed Lance!
 Having travelled all around India a few years ago I can confirm that Indian cuisine bears little resemblance to any of the Indian dishes available in the UK (or Turkey for that matter). In fact the word curry is never used in India when referring to a dish and each region has it's own particular cuisine or version of a dish that can be very different to another region. Indian restaurants in the UK usually offer a smorgasbord of their version of dishes from across the the various regions of India even including dishes from other countries such as Pakistan and Nepal. Most of these have been adapted to suit their customers tastes...

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
Agreed Lance!
 Having travelled all around India a few years ago I can confirm that Indian cuisine bears little resemblance to any of the Indian dishes available in the UK (or Turkey for that matter). In fact the word curry is never used in India when referring to a dish and each region has it's own particular cuisine or version of a dish that can be very different to another region. Indian restaurants in the UK usually offer a smorgasbord of their version of dishes from across the the various regions of India even including dishes from other countries such as Pakistan and Nepal. Most of these have been adapted to suit their customers tastes...

Spot on mate .

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
Having travelled all around India a few years ago I can confirm that Indian cuisine bears little resemblance to any of the Indian dishes available in the UK (or Turkey for that matter).

As we have also, albeit only the north.  To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with a lot of the food in India - and I am by no means a "curry lover" in the UK, I rarely eat "Indian" food. 

Far too many dishes made with poor quality ingredients, indifferent (to my palate) spicing and a general sameness to what was on offer.  It wasn't all bad, but it was by no means a culinary voyage of discovery.  Ironically, a minor celebrity chef I know told he felt the same but wouldn't dare that view in public - that made me feel slightly better  :)

JF

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 11:24:55 AM »
Lance, you are dead right. Authentic cooking in India tastes nowt like the British adapted meals here. I stayed in India last year, many miles away from anything touristy, for my daughter and son in law's weddding, and ate what the locals ate (with my right hand) and loved it. However, I must say I do love good Indian food here in the UK and fortunate enough to have the choice of 4 restaurants in my home town.  :)

Offline philrose

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
Having travelled all around India a few years ago I can confirm that Indian cuisine bears little resemblance to any of the Indian dishes available in the UK (or Turkey for that matter).

As we have also, albeit only the north.  To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with a lot of the food in India - and I am by no means a "curry lover" in the UK, I rarely eat "Indian" food. 

Far too many dishes made with poor quality ingredients, indifferent (to my palate) spicing and a general sameness to what was on offer.  It wasn't all bad, but it was by no means a culinary voyage of discovery.  Ironically, a minor celebrity chef I know told he felt the same but wouldn't dare that view in public - that made me feel slightly better   :)

JF

I found that I much preferred the dishes of the Southern regions over the North.
That said we found a cracking Italian Restaurant in Goa!   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf