Author Topic: pines 15 percent surcharge  (Read 5803 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
pines 15 percent surcharge
« on: May 13, 2015, 18:00:35 PM »
Just read in another forum that The Pines charged a customer an extra 15 per cent surcharge on their meal price.  Is it just Pines doing this? I read a post from Cenk that some restaurants were going to start charging and to watch your bills . Although the regulars are saying that they have never been given this extra charge??  Another case of conning a tourist?

Offline snowtop

Re: pines 15 percent surcharge
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 18:28:42 PM »
What is your reply Tuna?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 21:44:28 PM »
Exchange rate greed.???      Brits can afford it.???       Vote with your feet.      Eat elsewhere, plenty of choice.       >:( >:(

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 21:54:36 PM »
Is it a service charge they added which if it was would be optional I would have thought and 10% is the normal tipping rate in Turkey.

I don't understand what Cenk said - restaurants were going to start charging what? Was this here on the forum Mercury.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 22:33:08 PM »
Tuna runs our complex.  I will try to confirm yay or nay on this one soon

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 22:39:56 PM »
A long time ago Nichola... something to do with VAT being added on to bills.. This couple were in holiday and there wax 10per cent added to the bill but were then charged 15.... not one of the locals who use The Pines on a regular basus have ever paid anything other than what was in the menu...

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 22:51:35 PM »
I found the topic on the ex pat FB page - it was a service charge that was added at the Pines.

I wouldn't say that it is or would become normal to add the service charge to the bill around here and can't see many restaurants doing this. However although its a long time since I ate out in a UK restaurant I can remember having a service charge added to restaurant bills there.

I do know it is considered normal and accepted practice to tip for good service here and in the UK.

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 05:46:03 AM »
A service charge (tip, gratuity or whatever you would like to call it) should not be automatically foisted on a customer, surely?

If a customer feels a tip is worthy because of excellent service, then it totally at their discretion to tip and for how much. In these circumstances, I aim for around 10%. To automatically add this service charge irrespective of the service received is, in my opinion, out of order and I would expect any amount that has been added on the bill, to be deducted.  When this tactic has previously happened to me, I demand that this is done.

In my experience, this method is used infrequently in the UK.  If it is mentioned on the menu board outside for instance, I will take my custom elsewhere.

I am constantly amazed that in this era of social media, restaurants and cafes continue to try and pull fast ones on their customers.  Word soon gets out.  They have shot themselves in the foot!

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
Tuna runs our complex.  I will try to confirm yay or nay on this one soon
Hi Anne. If Tuna is trying to pull this stunt perhaps you should remind him that we all pay him our maintenance of a grand+ in sterling. Due to the extra lira he is getting maybe he should give us a discount of 15%.

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
I can't help thinking that this is all shortsighted greed!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf