Author Topic: Investing in Turkey - Garanti?  (Read 17674 times)

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
Re: Investing in Turkey - Garanti?
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 22:14:08 PM »
Ok.  I will stick to a grand ((purely for purpose of paying bills) .... And hold tight. And regards the santander 3%....(gross)....they only pay it on your first £20k...no matter how much you have invested. So yes, it is only £38/40 per month. thanks for advice.

Offline sadler

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2015, 22:38:57 PM »
Sue Mac, regarding Santander, you and your husband can hold up to three accounts, one in joint names and one in each sole name. You can then put £20k into each. We use the joint as our main current account, then transfer 2 direct debits to be paid from the two sole accounts (the stipulation is that there has to be £500 income per month into each account and 2 direct debits paid from each account per month. You then get 3 percent paid on the £60k. With interest paid on certain direct debits also, it equates to roughly £40 per month interest on each account.

I have also set up 3 accounts with TSB with £2k in each, which earns 5 percent per month. From the Main current account in Santander, I have a standing order set up to pay £500 into the joint TSB account and 4 days later, another standing order is set up to pay the £500 back to one of the Santander sole accounts, then from there to the TSB sole account and so on, until the last standing order from the other sole TSB account back to the main Santander current account. This allows the accounts to all have the stipulated £500 per month income from a different bank, which is the stipulation of both banks.  TSB do not require any payments out of the accounts but the 5 percent is only on a maximum balance of £2k.

Santander do charge £2 per month for each account but this is easily covered by extra interest paid on certain direct debits. TSB does not make a charge.

Well worth the hassle of setting up and there is no penalty for withdrawing so if extra money is needed to be withdrawn it is available instantly with no penalties.

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2015, 22:50:37 PM »
 Thanks Sadler.....very informative without any hint of sarcasm.  Good sound advice.   I do have three 123 accounts, I just have 60k in each of them so I am only getting 3% on 60k unfortunately ;)). Our main idea is to invest around 120k again in property here, which will give us a return of around 7%....but as we are always in turkey, and having had so many people talking to us about investing......we thought we would check out some more opinions on here.   im sorry that my initiaal thread has degenerated into An argument....as does happen quite frequently..(this was one of the reasons that i gradually removed myself from cbf on a regular basis).....iTS a shame really.....as im sure each and everyone of us on here can offer Some sound advice in one area/topic or another ....be iT finance/restaurants/car Hire etc etc. No body should be made to feel stupid Or belittled. Believe iT Or not, i was actually a financial advisor for ten plus years.....just never knew much about turkish politics Or economy.  I have always been nervous about investing  in turkey..but when turkish restaurant owners and ex pats alike are suggesting we invest....can't blame us  for considering it? But surely also we are being sensible by asking for further advice on here? Ah well....

Offline sadler

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2015, 23:03:35 PM »
You are very welcome Sue Mac. Good to be of assistance.

If it is of any further help, I had a bank account in Turkey until last year, as we sold last winter. I kept it only to pay bills, it never had more than a few hundred lire in it.

This political unrest has been on the cards for a while now and I do worry about folk who bought property at the height of the property boom and now wish to sell. The fact that they probably bought in sterling when the rate was something like 2.5 to the gps and now are trying to sell with a rate of nearly 6 lire to gps, it doesn't take much to work out that a crash is likely, particularly if it is Turkish people who are likely to purchase in lire.

There will be some spectacular bargains there soon!  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2015, 23:06:30 PM »

No body should be made to feel stupid Or belittled.

Has someone been made to feel stupid or belittled?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 05:17:38 AM »
I haven't.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
In praise of dithering.
If Sue Mac had changed up her £10k/£20k six days ago when this thread started she would have now lost about % of its value - i.e. £55/£1000 worth of value. Just as well she didn't do it.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 14:40:29 PM »
In praise of dithering.
If Sue Mac had changed up her £10k/£20k six days ago when this thread started she would have now lost about % of its value - i.e. £55/£1000 worth of value. Just as well she didn't do it.
This post was full of mistakes. Serves me right for typing in bright sunshine in a bar overlooking a beach. The value lost would have been 5% and the amount equivalent to 500/1,000 UK Pounds.     

Offline sadler

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 15:39:01 PM »
I knew what you meant Colwyn. A bit like my last post on here. After bedtime, perched on the arm of the settee as the iPad was plugged in to be charged, without my reading glasses on. Correct spelling of Turkish currency is "lira" and exchange rate almost 5 lira to gps, not 6, but then "I really don't care"   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf