Author Topic: SmartDNS on router-risk of service with TTNET??  (Read 2831 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
SmartDNS on router-risk of service with TTNET??
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:17:39 AM »
Hope I do not bore the general reader, but attract some tecnically savvy CBFers who can help me with this issue.

I have a Smart DNS service - from Overplay - and for a couple if reasons I would like to put the DNS service onto my router, rather than on each individual device. Now I did try this about three years ago by making dns changes on the TTNET router and I found that I 'lost' my TTNET internet access altogether. It was hassle getting it restored, and I was never sure whether this was due to tecnical issues with my DNS install onto the router - i thought the simple changes were correct? - or was it due to security issues with TTNET not allowing this sort of change?

So I'd like some advice from others, based on their experience or technical knowledge to perhaps save wasting time. What I'd add is that I now have my own non TTNET router installed to make the changes on.

Offline barry44544

Re: SmartDNS on router-risk of service with TTNET??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 10:22:08 AM »
I also found that if I changed the DNS settings on my router it affected ttnet.
I don't know why.. I just changed it on all my devices. It will be interesting if someone knows why.

Offline philrose

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
Did mine on the router about 18 months ago and it's still working ok. I just used one of the public DNS servers (not Google) to replace TTnets default one. I'll have to have  look to see which one I used as I know TTnet has intecepted a lot of them so they won't work...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 17:28:36 PM »
or was it due to security issues with TTNET not allowing this sort of change?

Highly likely.  In conjunction with a Swedish IT company they were blocking (external) DNS ranges that allowed folks to bypass the TTNet defaults. 

I just used one of the public DNS servers (not Google) to replace TTnets default one.

Smart move. 

It was a bit of a cat and mouse game a couple of years ago to find unblocked external DNS that'd work with TTNet, they seemed to be pretty on the ball and blocked a lot of stuff as soon as they found it.  I haven't kept up to date with network issues as I only do consultancy work (in Istanbul) now and it's more database and app related than dealing with connectivity issues.  I suspect it'll be a case of trial and error to finding one that works for you, here's a couple of lists - the first is usually updated fairly frequently.

Free and Public DNS Servers

Top 5 Free DNS

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf