Author Topic: Worst Breakfast in Calis.  (Read 9830 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Worst Breakfast in Calis.
« on: July 02, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »
Just thinking as I saw Scunner's post about the worst sandwich.  I had the worst sandwich (for breakfast) in Calis a few weeks ago.
We had been to the Sunday Market (it was 9.30am)  and I wanted to go into Cafe Pazzar to see the D.V.D guy who sells in there.  (Hassan from the prom, still had not come back from Izmir)   We had not been in to this restaurant before.   We decided to have something to eat there instead of going further up the road.
We sat and waited a long time, even though there was only one other table outside that was occupied.
Eventually a waiter appeared and we called him over.  We asked did they have fresh fruit juice, "No" We asked did they have latte coffee etc. "No, just NescafĂ©".   We ordered two coffees and a hot cheese roll and a bacon butty.   After another wait the coffees arrived.  Have to say it was the worst coffee we had ever tasted, it was like mud.  Again we waited.  We sat for 20 minute and one other couple arrived  to sit outside the waiter made a big fuss of them.  Then there was a fight between the Cafe's dogs and a puppy that walked in.  The fight was spilt up by the waiter, 
We eventually got our breakfast.  Phil's was a hot roll cheese and did not look too bad.  Mine was a huge white cold crusty roll, very dry and when I opened it, inside was the smallest piece of bacon I have ever seen.
 I took away about 3/4 of the roll to make a small sandwich.    Phil said I should have ordered the cheese roll.   After that I got up and went inside to see the DVD's. There was no one at the tables inside, but a whole pile of men sitting around the bar drinking.  Then I knew why the service outside was so slow. After my return, we again waited to pay the bill.  Phil had to get up and go inside to ask.
This was the worst meal/breakfast I ever had in Cails and would not repeat the experience. 

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Worst Breakfast in Calis.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:56:51 AM »
The Turks use "Nescafe" as a generic term for any old cr4p coffee they serve up.

Offline Jack13

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 13:58:56 PM »
for once i agree with you your majesty. cafe pazar going down hill. used to be great on a sunday with people coming from sunday market. been a regular for 8 years. wont go back.

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 14:09:26 PM »
The Turks use "Nescafe" as a generic term for any old cr4p coffee they serve up.

Yes, we were told years ago that if we didn't want Turkish coffee to ask for Nescafe and we'd get normal 'British' stuff.  Some were ok, some completely dreadful!   Fortunately things have moved on since then and a lot of places have the new coffee machines and serve good coffee but there's still the odd one!   : :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 14:21:32 PM »
I always ask if they have a proper coffee machine before I order. 
We haven't been in Cafe Pazzar for years as we didn't particularly like it so can't comment as to what is like today.
Plenty of other places in the same area who would be glad of your custom Jacqui

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 14:53:22 PM »
Yes  we know about all the other places and think we have tried all of them along the Market Road.  Only called in for DVD's and thought we would try something to eat.  Never again.  It seems to me that Cafe Pazzar is an ex-pats drinking hole.
I hope Hassan will be back on the prom in September. 

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 16:10:22 PM »

Breakfast (and lunch)  was really good in "My Place"  near the Sunday market - not sure if you've tried that one Jacqui?

Offline Jack13

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 18:14:05 PM »
used to be a drinking place for ex pats your majesty. not any more.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 19:00:14 PM »
Well Lord Jack,
I give you this report from T.A. By an expat who lives in Calis Beach.   Maybe he was one of the crowd of ex-pats that was sitting around the bar at 9.30am on Sunday Morning.
-------
Close to the Sunday Market, hence the name, Turkish/English owned with very attenttative staff and good food at reasonable prices. Frequented by a large number of ex-pats but dont be put off by this. Free pool table, free wi-fi, TV, Book Swap (not obligotary) and live music. All round a very good watering hole

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 21:19:17 PM »
How sad that someone feels the need to point out that people shouldn't be put off a place because it is frequented by expats.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf