Author Topic: Christmas Fare  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Christmas Fare
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »
That's done then. 500 grams of Yaffa Grade 1 Medjoul Jumbo Dates grown near Jericho. I have looked up how to caramelize walnuts (with Cointreau) and will get the cheese and honey nearer Christmas. Thanks Lotty, looking forward to it - discovering new treats is exactly why I started this thread.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »
Oh, and Hilary says she's going to give them a try as well! Just as well I bought a pound of them.

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »

I think Yaffa is the way to go for me too Colwyn. The more I read about the Jordanian dates available now, the more I found out about Jordan river valley dates, which are Israeli settlements.
 I never gave dates much thought before, time for another nap methinks.  8)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 13:11:07 PM »
I've never used Cointreau, for the walnuts, it sounds nice though. I just use sugar and water in a frying pan (heavy base preferably), add walnuts when it's dissolved and let it caramelise. Tip into board till cool then chop.

This a delicious alternative too, 2 cups raw walnut halves: toast lightly in heavy based pan, add 1/3 cup good Maple syrup & pinch salt. Stir till caramelised and cool & chop as above. These are a great nibble on their own. My daughter ate 5 every day when she was pregnant!   :)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 13:16:36 PM »
We always have Snowballs (Advocaat, lime, martini and lemonade) on Christmas Eve.
Port, small cheeseboard (with grapes and sliced apple) and After Eights.....Perfect way to finish the meal.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 14:39:55 PM »
I didn't inclusd any drinks but Christmas morning is always 11am Buck's Fizz to smooth the hectic preparations and go with the opening of Christmas tree presents. This year we brought a couple of bottles of port back from Lisbon - and there's still one and a half bottles left! I was surprised to find that whereas we are used to port being treated as a digestif in this country, stylish Portuguese restaurants were offering it on the aperitif list. I think we'll be going Portugues-ish this Christmas.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 13:55:47 PM »

Well, I've stuffed my dates. I sure I don't have the delicacy of touch for this sort of work. My cooking veers to the rustic. First time I have caramelized sugar and I didn't really know what I was doing. Still the walnuts taste very good and I've had lots of little helpers wanting to join in the tasting. Piping of Roquefort and cream cheese mix takes a skill that I clearly lack. But by the end of two dozen dates I was starting to get more into the dates than I was getting on my fingers. All that is needed now is a last-minute drizzle of honey. Here are the results so far.

Offline marina

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 14:41:52 PM »
Bet they are delicious Colwyn  ;D

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 15:40:40 PM »
Delicious I'm sure, Colwyn.

Your tinfoil container doesn't really do 'em justice but what a fine addition to the Xmas table (on a posh plate).

Gosh - they look good.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 15:46:00 PM »
Yes, tinfoil just the holding phase before honey is applied prior to serving.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf