Author Topic: The democracy & hope march  (Read 2970 times)

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
The democracy & hope march
« on: July 12, 2017, 15:06:15 PM »
Quite a good read on the march, how long till some of these are arrested?

http://www.theglobepost.com/2017/07/12/turkeys-lost-democracy-and-hope-of-justice-march/

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Re: The democracy & hope march
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 15:20:25 PM »
CNN reported live when they arrived in Maltepe. Kilicdaroglu gave the speech of his life.
Goosebump tv and a real piece of history.
Lets see what happens next...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 15:25:02 PM »

In the article Ayla Gol bluntly states:

Turkey is no longer a country governed democratically by the rule of law.

Harsh, but does it accurately sum up the state of Turkey today?

[Dr Ayla Gol is Reader & Director of Graduate School, Department of International Politics, Aberystwyth University.]

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
BBC report on the coup

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 14:44:13 PM »
I've always thought the taking of the Bosforus bridge was one of the strangest episodes of last year's coup attempt. If I was organizing a coup and wanted to take the strategically and symbolically important road link between European and Asian Turkey how would I organize it? Would a send a small contingent of troops (the photographs show maybe 50 soldiers surrendering) and only two tanks? Hardly. Would I position them in the middle of the bridge where any rounds fired from the tanks against advancing opposition would be in danger of breaking the bridge and dumping my troops into the Bosforus? Surely I would send two large military detachments to secure each end of the bridge. Unless I only had two tanks and 50 men at my disposal. If I was a criminal genius, capable of organizing thousands and schools, colleges and universities around the world, who was masterminding this coup - which is what Erdogan claims to be role of Gulen - surely I could have manged a little better than this? Especially if I had the support of the 150,000 plus Turks who have since lost their jobs, or been imprisoned as "coup conspirators", or who have simply "disappeared".

I am not proposing any "conspiracy theory" here; not saying that the whole thing was a put up job by the AKP. I am merely saying that the coup may have been just what it appears without AKP spin: a relatively small group of disaffected army officers, and the soldiers over whom they had sway, involved in a badly-considered and under-resourced plot. But it was a "gift from God" to Erdogan to put the country under a long-lasting and wide-ranging crackdown whilst massively increasing his powers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 14:55:31 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 15:28:16 PM »
If Kilicdaroglu wants to energize young people with hope he might have a word with this chap. Click to enlarge.

[Pub sign in St Werburgh's, Bristol. Just down the road from me.
Unfortunately the only thing  of merit about the pub.]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf