Author Topic: Is that it for us?  (Read 6536 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Is that it for us?
« on: August 29, 2019, 00:06:16 AM »
We have good friends coming out in September them having found really cheap flights from Bristol...
We really wanted to meet up with them
..We have tried every conceivable way to book Calis but coming from Manchester. Aaargh.. how does anyone afford the flights?
Booked a week AI in Crete for half of the money..
Gutted.

Offline blueclad

Re: Is that it for us?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 06:49:01 AM »
depended on your dates but manchester to dalaman  direct flights ,, I looked at 16 th to 30 th September  following week dates a tiny bit more TOTAL cost for two passengers seats together hold bags free snack   £628   == £314 each  Monday day flight  out   5 30  am  morning back leave DLM

loads cheaper than Gatwick / Stansted ect

Offline Steve A

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 09:16:28 AM »
Coming out from New Astley 16th Sep £398 each ,but always been expensive from here.
Tried Manchester once but the 3hr drive on the return leg nearly killed me

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
We're coming out end September for a month and usually fly from Manchester but this year found it cheaper to go from Leeds/Bradford which is unusual. Jet2 was also cheaper than T Cook for our dates. If you sign up to Jet2 membership they have varous discounts  which change regularly though I have noticed that bag charges can alter according to the discount!  ???

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 19:08:21 PM »
Coming out from New Astley 16th Sep £398 each ,but always been expensive from here.
Tried Manchester once but the 3hr drive on the return leg nearly killed me

Same, I think the flight arrival times into UK could literally kill you - I've had a few floaty moment driving from Manchester to Scotland on our way back from holiday.

We've saved hundreds each year driving to Manchester rather than pay Edinburgh/Glasgow prices. Even Newcastle is worth the trek sometimes for us - it may be relatively expensive but we played it that we would fly from NCL/MAN/LPL in Scottish school holidays but England was still at school so the price hike hadn't happened.

The furthest we have driven for a cheap flight is Leeds Bradford, about 5 hours with a relatively brief stop.

Offline suzyq

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 19:14:23 PM »
I’m the same as you Mercury have booked a week in Side with decent flight times as couldn’t find anything from Manchester to Dalaman that wasn’t an arm and a leg and wasn’t a night flight. Hopefully will get to visit Calis next year.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 19:24:57 PM »
Have only drive home once after a night flight.

Never again - not only a danger to myself and others in the car but also the poor innocents coming the other way, :( :( :(

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 22:19:41 PM »
£628.??? Sorry but it's only cost us a £50 more for a weeks AI in a beach hotel in Halkidiki..
Sea I will be able to swim in and day flights.
I don't ever book night flights or flights where we have to hang around all day.
Barrie being as he is it isn't a choice for us to travel for hours in a car to save the money.
I have a friend on the case tipping me the wink when the cheap flights come out next year..Maybe this was because we left it late but we are disappointed that we couldn't come.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 22:59:02 PM »
It's not just the flight prices - I think we could see big hikes in hotel rates next year with the weak lira, inflation and the massive increases in fuel /electricity prices that directly affect everything - manufacturing, transportation etc.

Traditionally (at least in the last 10-15 years) flight prices were higher than relatively comparable destinations - Greek Islands, Cyprus etc - but accommodation prices were so cheap they offset that. With high flight prices and potentially high accommodation costs it will be interesting to see how tourism fares in 2020.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 00:49:01 AM »
Its quite heartbreaking that people who really love Turkey are outpriced by the flights.  Also adding the visa price on.
As much as we miss Fethiye we really can't thoil (Yorkshire saying) the prices when we can go to other destinations for less.
It must also be a problem for people living there who either
live there but have to return in an emergency situation or trying to keep up with their visas.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf