Author Topic: Another Istanbul Explosion.  (Read 3513 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Another Istanbul Explosion.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 15:35:35 PM »
Today a bomb attack on a police station in Mardin province.

Its funny, we get all up tight when something goes off "in our back yard", but these bombings and attacks have been going on for months in the south east.  The civilian deaths, the security forces deaths and those that the government say are terrorists continue to mount and we don't see a thing in the western press - apart from maybe the Guardian, Connie Letsch has had some good articles published and Al Jazeera (westernish) have done a fair bit of reporting from down there.

I don't know what the death toll stands at - in fact I'm not sure anyone does. 

A further twist in the immunity issue is that not only did he sign off on it today, but in one fell swoop little reginald replaced most of the judiciary with individuals sympathetic to his grand plan:

Turkish gov’t shakes up judiciary with decree shifting more than 3,700 judges, prosecutors

Expect more violence I think.

JF

@Dutchie - that first para wasn't having a go at you personally!

Edit: little reginald just announced today that 7,600 terrorists have been "neutralised" since 20th June last year...

Offline Dutchie

Re: Another Istanbul Explosion.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 20:08:26 PM »
I stick to reading the Turkish (online) newspapers so am very much aware that these attacks are unfortunately happening on a daily basis but like you wrote, most of these incidents don't make it to the Western press.

The death toll of today's attack has risen to five: 2 police and 3 civilians.

I can't recall the exact figure but around 550 so-called "şehit" have been killed by terrorists since June 2015. Civilians are not included in this number, just police and soldiers.

Apparently the number is higher than the number of soldiers they lost in 1974 when the Turks fought a proper war in Cyprus.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf