Author Topic: Return of the death penalty  (Read 2459 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Return of the death penalty
« on: April 12, 2017, 17:07:38 PM »
I think most folks had a pretty good idea that one of the forty pieces of silver taken by the MHP, for their support in passing the referendum bill through parliament, was going to be the return of the death penalty.

Its in the open now:

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said he believes the government should submit a draft on reinstating the death penalty in the event that the constitutional amendments are approved in the upcoming referendum on April 16.

“After April 16, with God’s permission, the draft would be brought to parliament. If it passes in parliament, I will approve it,” Erdoğan said at a rally in the eastern province of Erzurum on April 12.

That would be the final nail in the coffin of Turkeys stalled bid to join the EU.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Return of the death penalty
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 17:43:15 PM »
I'm trying to think of another country that has abolished the death penalty and then brought it back but nowhere springs to mind.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 17:52:26 PM »
I wonder what effect it'll have on Turkey's membership of the EU's Customs Union ? Although not a full member of the union, it's still a member of the Customs Union which enables the free movement of Turkey's manufactured goods within the EU.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 18:10:29 PM »
Probably little effect Alan, when Turkey joined the EU Customs Union in 1995 the death penalty was still on the books.  It wasn't abolished until 2004.

JF

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 13:01:22 PM »
Where trade and ultimately money is involved a lot of countries turn a blind eye to things like capital punishment take the UK trading with Saudi Arabia billions of pounds worth of deals but a blind eye when it comes to their record on capital punishment also 32 states in America still have the death penalty on there statutes I don't think the UK government will say a lot but also I bet the EU wont either 

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 22:54:41 PM »
Soon be the two year anniversary of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran execution by the firing squad in Bali.Lindsey Sandiford still remains on death row. She could be taken at any time and executed.They were all convicted drug smugglers. Bali remains unrepentant and still takes a hard line on drug smuggling.I dont know what other crimes they use the death penalty for there.They are lining up some prisoners on death row somewhere in America. They want to get rid of the dodgy batch of the lethal injection drug that runs out of date the end of the month. The last time it was used saw a prisoner take 45 minutes to die writhing in agony. A lot of people might say, so what? let them suffer. 
Should the death penalty be reinstated in Turkey? what crimes would it cover? Crimes against the state??
The truth of it is,I am not sure if I agree with the death penalty or not for any country, or if I would want to continue living here if the death penalty was reinstated.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 23:18:38 PM »
The truth of it is,I am not sure if I agree with the death penalty

I am sure.  Totally contrary to how I felt when I was younger (and probably more naive), I don't believe this ultimate sanction has a place in society now.

Some will disagree, which is their right, even though they're wrong  :)

JF

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 07:26:30 AM »
The problem for me is how it is used the premeditated murder of children yes, the killers of Lee Rigby yes, but that opens up another can of worms 'martyrdom'  I think unfortunately it will be used to remove opponents of the sultan

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »
I support the death penalty. I've worked in maximum security establishments, and quite frankly there are some in there that are beyond redemption, and should be given a 9mm lead injection behind their right ear. They have no respect for human life and there's no reason why we should respect theirs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf