Author Topic: Its a numbers game  (Read 1715 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Its a numbers game
« on: July 08, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
Read a few articles today, some from domestic Turkish publications and a few that are from outside Turkey.

Focus was mainly on over 18,500 public service workers dismissed by a new decree - fairly typical targets, army, navy, air force, polis, jandarma and academics.  The small comfort to be taken from the decree was that 148 were cleared of charges and reinstated.  Work out the percentage on that one.

More than 18,500 public workers dismissed with new emergency state decree

What I noticed was the disparity in numbers over the total arrests, detentions and dismissals since 2016.

A lot of external media I think simply make the figures up or believe what the Anadolu News Agency tell them - an organisation who's press releases are probably written by the wee fella'a media team.

The BBC quote "more than 107,000 people have been dismissed by emergency decree", however an independent source that checks every decree as its issued put the figure at 151,967.  Similar for arrest figures, 50,000 quoted by the BBC versus 79,774. Even Amnesty International were out on the arrest figure.  The Wall Street Journal looks to have better numbers but its behind a paywall so I couldn't access the full article.

If anyone is interested, you can check who, when and where they were arrested and under which decree:  Turkey Purge Monitoring They have the decrees publicly accessible, anyone got a spare week you can verify their figures.

This obliquely brought me round to thinking about all the assets that have seized under emergency decrees...  one for another day methinks.

JF

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
Re: Its a numbers game
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
Sorry John but the TPM link only takes me to a blank page.  Thinking about it maybe that's for the best!!!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:49:35 PM »
This one works for me

https://turkeypurge.com/

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
Sorry John but the TPM link only takes me to a blank page.  Thinking about it maybe that's for the best!!!!

Try now.  Sorry about that.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf