Author Topic: Do We Offend Muslims?  (Read 7089 times)

Offline scorcher

Re: Do We Offend Muslims?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
And good for you ! What a lot of whingeing from the Meldrewites !

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »
Nightshift for me then, driving round checking the lights displays and banners to see if the "C" word is there
or the "SG" words, sigh, all this education and I end up an C&SG Inspector for the Calis Beach Forum -- oh, well -- could be worse -- not much mind you! I may have to have a Festive Season drink early if I find one!

Bad Santa

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
I tend not to frequent Malls if I can avoid it so I've checked out Bristol extensive city centre one - Cabot Circus. I found that they have a Local Christmas Market and a German Christmas Market. The latter is next to the Christmas Pyramid. What's that? Here what the site says:

"A key feature of the market will be the 13-metre high ‘Christmas Pyramid’, with a giant rotating nativity scene, which will be the focal point of the market’s location in Broadmead alongside the skate rink. The Christmas nativity scene and advent calendar are very popular and will remind us of the religious origins of this special time of the year."

Pretty much Christmas in your face I would say.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
Well, You are right it is Christmas in your face from a commercial point of view everywhere I look, as long as you don't actually have a banner or in lights say "xxxxxx Christmas".  (I take it you checked the website and not physically the Mall?)

Drove through a few places in Yorkshire yesterday evening, lots of lights, lots of displays, but nowhere the actual word "Christmas", particularly disappointed in Knaresborough North Yorkshire, as you enter the town a banner above says "Welcome to Knaresborough" not quite what I expected! Going to check out Bolton later and will let you know.

So, if its Xmas markets, Christmas everywhere on web sites and in shops the why not in the street or in the shopping mall?? Will check and see if Bodyshop have their usual dismal Seasons Greetings on the window! Trafford centre wifey going later so will get report. They haven't allowed the "C" word for the last 3 years so maybe this is the year!

Isnt this fun??

Offline scorcher

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
So easily pleased ! Have you been on the wine gums again ?

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
So easily pleased ! Have you been on the wine gums again ?
I knew you wouldn't keep my secret!  :) Hic!  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 13:14:27 PM »
JT, well at least you've stopped saying that local councils ban Christmas (or maybe just the use of the word Christmas). That's some progress I suppose. Now the attention has switched to shopping malls and you are not impressed by Bristol's Cabot Circus 40 foot high nativity scene, or Trafford Centre's Santa's Grand Grotto, it has to be the word "Christmas" preferably preceded by "XXXXXX" written on a banner.

I do hope you don't find one. I can't imagine how disappointed you will be. It will probably empty the last shreds of fun from your season of good cheer. Being a traditionalist I shall be celebrating the original holiday - the Pagan Midwinter festival. Now if you want to knock local councils you should see how little attention they pay to Midwinter, Saturnalia and Yule - in fact, none whatsoever. It is a disgraceful abandoning of Britain's very longstanding traditions. Not to worry; I will be bringing an evergreen tree into my home to ensure the onset of Spring whatever the council does.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 13:55:34 PM »
Go for it Colwyn! A nice evergreen in Wicun tradition!

I shall continue my quest strengthened by the knowledge that you are sustaining yourself in Festive Gluttony -- as I will also do  :)

Merry Pagan Day to you!

Offline angela

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 15:00:33 PM »
I love edited highlights of xmas, My grandchildrens faces when they open their 'Nanny sacks', Christmas carols in our local cathedral, Christmas markets etc.  I send very few cards, waste of money, always have a few days away, so no cooking of huge gluttonous dinners, I am always happy to wish my colleagues Happy Eid, Diwali or whatever it is that they are celebrating, and expect no more in return. I can't and won't worry about offending anyone, life is too short.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf