Author Topic: Teacher tapes children's mouths closed.  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Teacher tapes children's mouths closed.
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »

Yes, it is wrong to tape children's mouths up, but what surprised me is the parents interviewed on T.V. saying they were shocked and appalled by the incident and their children had been upset, crying and traumatised.
In all of this outcry not one parent express surprise, shock or embarrassment that their children's bad and disruptive behaviour, pushed a teacher over the edge.
As a parent I would be wondering just why my child was not behaving and just who ultimately was responsible for a child who was uncontrollable in a classroom.
I feel extremely sorry for teachers these days with classes full of badly behaved children and little in the way of controlling them.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: Teacher tapes children's mouths closed.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
Jacqui, I think it totally wrong, and a form of physical assault to actually "lay" hands upon any child in this situation. If it were only one child who was being abused in this manner, some kind of rationale may be behind the teachers disgusting behaviour, but, when she went to the extreme, and meted out this abhorrent treatment to several, ( and we do not know how many) children, at the same time, points to her having a severe problem, and a lack of understanding as how to best cope with children at all. !!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
Yes Gordon, I agree, I worked in the local school and I saw a child who came from a totally disruptive home kick a student teacher so hard in the leg he brought the girl to tears, then he ran out of the school.  The teachers had no control of him and they could do nothing.  I feel that parents have to hold up their hands and say they are responsible for the way their children behave.

Offline DANKY

• Never red
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
when i was at school a certain teacher used to make us take a sock off and used to pin it around our mouths if we talked in his class  ( not sure if thats where the saying put a sock in it came from ) he would also then  tell our parents at open evening and id be in big trouble again with my Dad !!!
im not saying i agree with the action or would allow this to happen to my kids just saying how times have changed !!!

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »
This is where me and Gordon differ, wash their mouths out with soap!  You only have to walk the shopping arcades to have a little sympathy with this teacher, all control was taken out of the hands of schools by the politically correct brigade some years back, hence no discipline now.

Maybe National Service should be brought back to instil respect, or if the forces don't want them bring in Boot Camps. 
Cripes! it must be a bad hair day.

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
I've just been in Tesco where i had the misfortune to meet in every aisle a toddler of around 18 - 20 months who 'girned' her way round the store with a fake cry! Her Mum was heavily pregnant & Dad uttered every minute or so 'that's not acceptable behaviour is it Elise?' He'd have done everyone in the store a favour if he'd taken her quietly aside outside & explained to her who's in charge here - it certainly wasn't him & Mum didn't look like she'd the energy to care!

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
The point is being totally missed here, This teacher actually assaulted someone else's children, PLURAL, by wrapping several layers of Sellotape around their mouths in order to stop the children from "giggling" !! I firmly believe that, as soon as the children are dropped off at school, they then become the responsibility of that school, and subsequently, whichever teacher/teachers, are taking classes.

Surely, in this day and age, adequate training is/should be provided , in order that anyone wishing to become a teacher of young children , are/should be made aware of the propensity for "naughty " behaviour ? We are discussing little people here, who, for 4 or 5 years, have lived in a home environment, with Mum and Dad, then taken to a strange building and expected to behave like angels, HELLO !!

If these so-called "teachers" , cannot stand to hear children acting/sounding like children, change your job, because you are obviously in the wrong occupation !!

Loz, my Darling, as much as I love you, how can you send children on National service, because it is children who have been abused by this woman, NOT their parents !!  Will you still feed me today ??

Offline scorcher

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 13:02:19 PM »
What about the ironing ?

Offline patrice

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 13:15:34 PM »
I totally agree with Gordon
 I am an assessor in health and social care at my local college and I witness first hand how young adults sometimes behave....but gagging them   :o  :

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 15:01:44 PM »
These kids are 10 year olds and the class has 30 pupils which is very surprising.  Twenty of the kids would not behave and disrupted the class for the other children, meaning the well behaved and perhaps well brought up children were suffering.   I don't agree with taping mouths and this was not my point of starting this debate.
My point was, why aren't the parents questioning just why their children acted in this manner? If it was my child I would certainly be asking questions and wanting to know why he/she was disrupting a class.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf