Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122051 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2015, 14:48:11 PM »

Offline babcc

• It is, what it is!
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2015, 16:36:51 PM »
Just so love your blog! I have got into the habit of not reading for a few weeks, then read it all in one go and then sit here wishing there was just one more update to read!  You have inspired me to perhaps start a blog of my own - completely different subject though! Look forward to the future instalments. Barbara x

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2015, 17:16:54 PM »
Babcc, delighted that you are enjoying my blog. I was inspired to write one after reading Menthol's great blog which is so well written and funny. I'm enjoying looking up old emails and photos, remembering and writing it up for posterity  ;)
Do join us bloggers, and if you're in Fethiye or environs when we're there, join the witches coven 8)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2015, 22:27:12 PM »
Please do start a blog on here babcc. I too love reading Arty's blog and it would be great to have another one to check into  :D

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2015, 23:03:16 PM »
June 2010  London

BLOG 28: Contingency planning

When is a skeleton not a skeleton?  We are up to date on our stages of payment, the latest being on ‘completion of the skeleton’. There was some argument about this so-called skeleton which was not clearly and unambiguously defined in the contract. (I know, I know – we should have had our own lawyer during this process). The skeleton, to my mind was the whole building up but without fitments, internal and external rendering. What we see in the photos they define as the skeleton, and I suppose it could be called that. Skeleton or not, it’s far from complete and unless there is a miraculous increase in building speed, I cannot imagine that it will be finished in time for us to stay. Maybe they think we’ll be content to live on a building site? And that would be a good excuse to get busy on other villas no doubt.

Regardless of L’s continued assurances that ‘all will be ready for your arrival’, I email her to say that I want details of the alternative accommodation promised should the villa by any chance not be ready according to the contract. This time she replies fairly promptly and tells me she ‘will look into it’.  I email back and say that unless I hear the details from her by the end of the week, we may all camp at Infinity offices – in which case, K and S will find it hard to side step all six of us! And, I suspect, the sight might not too good for business!

By the end of the week I get a response. (Well, what do you know!) The villa she has lined up is very close by the site where ours is being built – and it appears ok though not particularly ‘luxurious’. Seems even L can kid along no more. The time is fast approaching the end of June deadline when the villa should be complete enough for us to stay to find out any ‘snagging’ issues. And it still looks only half built. Soon we’ll be viewing it in the flesh, so to speak. With a bit of rendered flesh on its concrete bones, hopefully, it will soon be a skeleton no longer.

I email my daughter to tell her the news. She’s disappointed that we won’t be staying in our newly built villa, but delighted to be having a holiday with us and keen to see the villa ‘in progress’. Needless to say, so are we!

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

…………….

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2015, 13:34:26 PM »
July 2010  Koca Calis

BLOG 29:  Inch by inch down the dusty road. . .

I’m sitting in the rustic outdoor Internet café just up the road from our rented villa where L has put us up. Infinity, as per contract, are paying for the rental. This café is within spitting distance of our villa construction, so with a few paces down the dusty unpaved road, I can check progress. Every morning, Daughter (armed with her ever-present laptop) and I traverse the road to this café, called ‘The Escape Bar’, have an orange juice (the freshly squeezed ones are great) while she goes to work on her emails. At this time of year, even that short walk in the blazing heat is exhausting.

While she taps away on her emails, I go to the building site to view the (non) progress of our villa. When I do spot some activity on the site, it is usually a couple of men, lounging outside our ‘soon-to-be kitchen’ on a slab of concrete that will become our terrace. They are drinking tea. The other activity normally seen is these same men tossing their empty water bottles or cigarette packs onto the road wherever they happen to be (normally lounging at the building site).

Sometimes a similar activity can be seen at the other three villas being built at the site. I note that there now appears to be only two more villas similar to ours and a third of a different design. When I ask L about this, she says that the two Russian families bought the adjoining plot so they could each have a larger garden. That’s good for us – more open space. A German couple bought the third villa, so it seems supersalesman, Oz, was successful there. All villas appear to be only half built, and with the sparse building activity I’ve observed, I’m not surprised.

On one of my sojourns past the site, I bump into an English guy, John, an expat who lives just across the narrow (paved) road that runs at right angles to the muddy unpaved road past the forest. He’s obviously not delighted to see yet more of his rural, unspoilt surroundings disappear. He tells me that only a year or two ago ago, there was no road leading down from the Escape bar, past the forest and past our half built villa. The forest, it seems, butted right up to the end house. They were told that the forest was sacrosanct and could not be built on. Next thing they knew, trees were cut down to make a road.  There’s still a lot of empty land around. I wonder how long it will be before it, too, is built upon. He asks whether we are happy with our builders and my bitter laugh conveys my answer. He says something I’ve heard more than once before: “just make sure you get your Tapu!” I tell him we’re aware of this, and that it is part of the contract.

Our nine-year-old twin grandchildren (boy and girl) are enjoying themselves in the pool, watched over by OH. Daughter’s husband couldn’t make it at this time (in the US, it is standard practice to have only two weeks annual vacation; we should count ourselves lucky on this side of the pond).

Moaning about my frustrations to L doesn’t help. As she once said, she is only the messenger. As to getting through to the bosses – well that gives more frustration than it’s worth. In Turkey there is not supposed to be heavy building going on in the tourist season, I’m told. Presumably that means things could hot up again after October. I certainly hope so. OH reminds me we are on holiday and not to become obsessed with the villa’s lack of progress. He has the kind of patience I most definitely lack.

When I go to the site and attempt to talk to the men, they look at me as if I’m some weird creature and shrug their shoulders. Their boss man is not in evidence – so no luck there. I tell myself that there’s not much point in expecting sudden, miraculous progress – judging from what I’m seeing – it just aint happenin’. But Daughter needs to check her emails daily, so we make the short daily trek to the Escape bar and I make the short trek to the villa site just down the road.

The best place to be at the moment is in the pool with the cool water lapping over one’s shoulders. That’s where Daughter and I will be heading next. We’ll make the most of this family holiday!

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline sadler

« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2015, 18:55:31 PM »
Artymar love, love ,love your blog. Please can you give us more. It reminds me of books I have stayed up all night to read (and there have been a few) but we know (or think) there is a happy ending. Please give us more, you old tease, you.   :D

Offline Menthol

« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2015, 19:03:17 PM »
It's just making me want to go into Infinity's offices and slap them round the chops!

Offline sadler

« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2015, 19:19:13 PM »
menthol, that made me laugh out loud.    :)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2015, 19:44:16 PM »
Artymar, it must have been sheer hell -
Love your writing - can't wait for more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf