Author Topic: London mosque  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Stuart T

Re: London mosque
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 22:39:15 PM »
Part of a network that included his brother who was arrested after planning an attack in Tripoli.

Father also arrested.

For a long time on the radar of US intelligence services.

Police still trying to identify the bomb maker.

"it is very clear that this is a network we are investigating" Manchester Police Chief

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 22:45:57 PM »
I suppose it depends on one's definition of "acting alone".

I concede that wasn't a good example but there have been attacks by Muslims with no apparent links to known terrorist organisations.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
So it isn't an act of terrorism because this welsh guy acted alone. But when a Muslim acts alone it is an act of terrorism?
I agree. There is no evidence that Khalid Masood, the Westminster Bridge killer, was attached to or assisted by any Muslim terror group although, as is their policy, ISIS claimed him as an "Islamic soldier" afterwards. This did not prevent him being, in view rightly, being labelled a "terrorist". What is common on phone-in programmes following a terrorist attack is that a number of people say that the "Muslim community" should have done more to stop this - even though it often turns out that the perpetrator was known to the police because he had been reported by his Muslim neighbours. It would not be surprising if members of the Muslim community felt unfairly burdened by the actions of isolated individuals.

Yesterday I heard no-one asking why the Cardiff community hadn't done more to stop this - his friends, his neighbours, his family. Instead what we have is the claim that he is not a terrorist; just a nutcase. Is there any evidence that he is insane? At least any more insane than anyone else who deliberately drives a vehicle into a crowd of people? I guess if I was a discontented trouble-maker in the Muslim community I would telling everyone "See! Double standards in this country! Their deaths are terrorism - Our deaths are  the result an unfortunate mental problem!"

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 13:55:16 PM »
Thus far there is nothing to link Osborne to any terrorist organisation - and there probably won't be. It seems that he "acted alone".

A racist attack it most certainly was but not a terrorist attack, surely. Not as I understand a terrorist attack, anyway.

You are quite correct in saying that there is no clear proof that Khalid Masood was linked to a terrorist group (despite ISIL's claims that he was one of their soldiers).

However, following his name change after conversion to Islam and his radicalisation (probably whilst in prison) he lived and worked in Saudi Arabia far a few years. He then moved back to the UK and lived in Luton (Anjem Choudary's popular stomping ground).

He was investigated by MI5 as a "peripheral" figure in a terrorist organisation.

No proof, this I concede but enough to at least suggest an association.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 14:11:42 PM »
So we are going to disagree Stuart. But I'll tell you who aren't terrorists:  spectators at an Istanbul tennis championship who booed an AKP minister - even though RTE said they were.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 14:33:10 PM »
Aye, old bean. Nothing new there!

Re: Tennis

Brave, if a little unwise, spectators.

By RTE's definitions there must be a world full of terrorists out there.

What, if any, repercussions have there been?

I've not read about this.

(Gone a bit off thread here but this is news).

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 15:18:04 PM »
Very old news Stuart. See the video of 2012 WTA event and be amazed at just how ignorant sports commentators can be about the country they are visiting. Disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxdK2ioEA4k

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 15:31:08 PM »
Ah, I see.

I thought you meant the Istanbul tennis from a few weeks ago.

Didn't know about this though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf