Author Topic: Lake of Menteith  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Lake of Menteith
« on: January 10, 2010, 18:23:16 PM »
We attempted to go and see the Lake of Menteith (Scotland's only Lake) in Stirlingshire. It has frozen over for the first time in 30 years. A major curling competition ( Bonspeil) use to be held on the lake when it froze over in the past.
Well almost everyone in Scotland must have been like minded. We were caught up in horrendous traffic jams on these wee narrow roads around the lake. Police everywhere trying to get some order back amongst the often abandoned cars which blocked everyone else's way. It was a lovely cold sunny day and there were ice skaters, sledgers, and curlers all out on lake having fun. We only got to see it from afar as there was no way you could get near it by the time we got there. Looked amazing and worth the chaos to see it, albeit fro a distance. :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 19:40:09 PM »
I heard on Sky News this morning that it had been cancelled due to Health and Safety fears that someone would fall through the ice!!!!  Curling was always performed on frozen lochs, rivers, etc,
Glad it went ahead, but sorry you could not get through. Well done for trying. As you love this cold weather, ever thought of going to the Ice Hotel in Sweden?
Jacqui.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 19:49:57 PM »
A huge well done to all those who stuck up two fingers to the authorites and went out and enjoyed themselves:D

Where were you travelling from Toky
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 19:51:32 PM by Highlander »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 20:49:56 PM »
The bonspiel was cancelled but others obviously took advantage of it.

Quite interesting that there was traffic jams with people just going for a look.  They expected around 20,000 people.  It was cancelled because they could not guarantee the safety of people because of the narrow icy roads, bitter cold and poor access for crowds.
Seems they were right about the access.

Personally you would not get me on ice with 20,000 others.  Especially as we have been on slow defrost today.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 22:07:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

A huge well done to all those who stuck up two fingers to the authorites and went out and enjoyed themselves

Given the significant thaw experienced in central Scotland today it would appear those "authorites" were bang on when they made their decision.  Like the previous poster, you wouldn't have caught me on there.

JF

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 22:08:08 PM »
Got a funny feeling that some of them went on to play their competition despite the police saying no. There were thousands of folks around the Lake. I travelled from Helensburgh Highlander so not too far. Just carried on and had a meal in Thornhill.
Jacqui, haven't been to the ice hotel, but been to the vodka ice bar in London loads of times and the one in Benalmadena too. Good fun too.
:D

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 22:16:13 PM »
It is their choice to go on the ice and play but if there is an accident they have no one to blame but themself.
The authorities would have been sued if there had been an accident and they had backed it.  No insurance company would cover that.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 22:19:19 PM »
And what about the lunatics who go up our mountains in this weather.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 22:31:45 PM »
Eh, you calling me a lunatic??? LOL Off  Nevis range skiing tomorrow and Tuesday, Satying with daughter in Spean Bridge
:P

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Lake of Menteith
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 22:39:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

And what about the lunatics who go up our mountains in this weather.

Once again John it is their choice.  If they need rescued it is usually done by volunteers who are into the same sport.

I do not know the figures of big rescues that involve the RAF etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf