Author Topic: DVT - a reality  (Read 993 times)

Offline valleyboy

DVT - a reality
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »
I for one being a relatively fit, fairly well travelled, just turned 50 something  kind of guy, paid a certain amount of lip service to articles and airline instruction regarding deep vein thrombosis.

My wife and myself just did a mid-week break for 5 days in Scotland by coach from S. Wales. The holiday in itself was very good in a lovely part of the World, however the journey up and back were two very long sessions in the coach (with breaks of course), which we had anticipated, being veterans of a coach holiday to Lake Garda.

On the Third day we decided to forego a coach excursion and spend the day walking in the Trossachs, a pass time we both enjoy, having had a splendid day, that evening my calf started becoming sore, I soldiered on putting it down to the exertion of the days walking.

To cut a long story short, upon our return home the pain and swelling remained and had spread, I decided to seek medical help as soon as I could and despite being exhausted went to my local A&E which though sounds a little dramatic, but having read up on DVT on the NHS website, you'll understand why. The results of the blood tests showed I had a blood clot in my leg, they gave me 2 shots of heprin into my stomach and I now have to undergo scans and a course of 3 months blood thinning and monitoring to look forward to.

The message I'd like to share with you is with the amount of travelling some people perform on this forum PLEASE respect the advice offered on DVT (perhaps most do and I'm just a little blaze), but it has shocked me to experience just how easy it is for this to happen.

Keep safe, Tony

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
DVT - a reality
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
Hi Tony, I am glad you enjoyed your holiday but sorry to hear of your problem with the blood clot.
I think you were really sensible to go to the hospital immediately, some people, particulary men would have left it to "get better" so good for you.
I always take flight socks with me on long journeys, I often notice I am the only one around me putting them on in the plane.  This has reinforced my plan to always wear them.
Hope you get better soon.

Offline valleyboy

DVT - a reality
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes Jacqui - Loved Scotland as ever !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf