Author Topic: import tax for dummies  (Read 1000 times)

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

import tax for dummies
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

Does anybody know anything about import tax/duty in Canada? I'm looking to have a parcel shipped from the states to a person in Canada but i'm not sure if i'll have to pay with it being bought in America. I've has a look on the internet but it's all so confusing. If anybody can help or advise, i'd be very grateful. The parcel is about 2000usd in value and i'm trying to avoid getting stung by taxes etc which i would if i had it sent directly to me here in the UK.

Thank you millions for any help, it really is appreciated :D

Laurie.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
import tax for dummies
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »
I have a Canadian customer who always tells me that the Customs in Canada are very strict and charge duty on parcels over £50.00 in value that come in from other countries.  I think the Canadian Customs are very like ours. When sending a parcel you must itemise all items in the parcel on a label on the outside of the parcel with values.  I know my customer has had parcels opened by the customs and she tells me they do not go to a lot of trouble to re-pack the items properly.

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

import tax for dummies
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 16:37:53 PM »
oh no! thats not good, its my wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses!! I wondered if the charges would be any different as it was coming from America but maybe not.. Best get my thinking cap on, where theres a will theres a way  :)... Thanks Jacqui x

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
import tax for dummies
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 18:48:58 PM »
If you get stuff sent from the States to the U.K. you are only allowed £15.00 of goods before tax.
Of course, parcels must have a label with the item and the cost.  It's up to you, but if you put £2,000 it will be insured but you will pay a lot of tax if the Customs decide to charge you (they don't always) If you put a lesser value and anything happens to the parcel you will not be covered.  It's catch 22... Good luck  However, near Christmas with the volume of parcels coming through the Customs might not be bothered checking everything.  I have had parcels from the States and not paid duty on them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf