Author Topic: Tottenham Riots  (Read 5251 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Tottenham Riots
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Toky

68 reads and 3 comments!!! Apathy!

Not apathy as such- just what can be said really? Summer riots have been around for years and just one spark sets them off. Bored kids get pulled in and social network sites and mobiles carry the word.

Disgusting but unfortunately nothing new in this country.

As for being unemployed - some were as young as seven so that theory goes out of the window.

Bring back the birch and the short sharp shock we used to get if we stepped out of line. Prosecute the parents as well.

Happy days ;-)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Tottenham Riots
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »
I totally agree Stoop. The law is a joke and far too lenient!

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Tottenham Riots
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »
I agree stoop, yes the ones young as seven not unemployed, but i bet their parents are.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Tottenham Riots
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
Maybe it's something to do with who is in government? Brixton? Tottenham? Depressed areas with lots on benefits and just maybe they are fuelled by the fact that this government is clamping down on some claimants? I just have this feeling it's going to spread to other similar areas throughout the UK. I hope not though!

From wiki:

Tottenham is a multicultural hotspot with many different ethnic groups inhabiting the area. It is often referred to as a black area because it contains one of the largest and most significant populations of African-Caribbean people. These were among the earliest immigrant groups to settle in the area, starting the UK's Windrush era soon after West African communities - notably the many Ghanaians - begun to migrate into the area. Between 1980 and the present day there has been a slow immigration of Colombians, Albanian, Kurdish, Turkish-Cypriot, Turkish, Somalis, Irish, and Portuguese populations. South Tottenham is reported to be the most ethnically-diverse area in Europe, with up to 300 languages being spoken by its residents.
Tottenham has the highest unemployment rate in London and the 8th highest in the United Kingdom. It therefore has some of the highest poverty rates within the country.[10] There have also been major tensions between the African-Caribbean community and the police since (and before) the 1985 Broadwater Farm riot. Although Tottenham is a cultural center, it has also been one of the main hotspots for gangs and gun crime in the United Kingdom during the past three decades. This followed the rise of gangs and drug wars throughout the area, notably those involving the Tottenham Mandem gang and various gangs from Hackney and all of the areas surrounding Tottenham, and the emergence of an organised crime ring known as the Turkish Mafia was said to have controlled more than 90% of the UK's heroin market.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Tottenham Riots
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 12:11:48 PM »
Where are the water canons [?][?]

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Tottenham Riots
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
Some observations:

Any reference to deprived areas being a "reason" does a massive disservice to all the other similar areas throughout the country which remain law abiding.

If I throw a rock at a policeman tonight on Dingwall High Street I doubt very much if he would simply look at me

Looters should be arrested. why weren't they.

I believe that the Met Police are scared of the black community.

"bring back the birch" - well said stoop

"where were the water canon" totally agree Ken. Can you imagine the CRS allowing such criminality. I don't think so

Offline barry44544

Tottenham Riots
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 15:45:48 PM »
I expect the prime minister and the mayor of London and the home secretary
Were in the front line and in full control??? Oh no sorry... On holiday.
It's ok....It's  Only another non-White person shot by the police.
They should all go take one of the thousands of jobs that the government
Has created in London.
Apathy is sitting at home and blaming the poor for being poor.

Offline barry44544

Tottenham Riots
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 15:53:09 PM »
The biggest ethnic population in that part of
Tottenham is Hasidic Jews..
Not a race known for high unemployment..!

Offline jacx

Tottenham Riots
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 15:59:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Toky

I cannot express the depth of my disgust watching this happen in today's Britain. Looting shops, arson, violence etc cannot be justified and  I hope the cameras can pinpoint the scum who have changed the face of modern day Britain overnight!

I totally agree with you Toky and Stoop and Highlander. I was ashamed watching the news to think these youths represent Britain and the society we live in today. It was mindless thugs jumping on the band wagon, just anarchy and the sad thing is these young people are not afraid of authority and the police because we are too lenient with them. There are no real deterrents, so they have no fear. The future is scarey when you think these people are Britains future.:(

Offline Babadaq Bridge

Tottenham Riots
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 21:47:30 PM »
I am just so shocked at what I am seeing on the news. These kids are destroying their own communities.  Just come off the phone to my friend in New Barnet and she is worried sick - the shops in her area all had to close at 3.30 today just in case.  They are just setting fire to buildings and robbing whatever they can - looking at the scenes on tv it could be scenes of London as a warzone.  I think they need to get the army in soon.  Please God it calms down soon before somebody is killed in the fires.  
Bridge

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf