Author Topic: Edinburgh Hogmany  (Read 988 times)

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Edinburgh Hogmany
« on: December 30, 2012, 20:07:15 PM »

Are any members going to the party ? If so have a great time   :)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: Edinburgh Hogmany
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 22:07:19 PM »
I am not going, but was there a couple of days ago and its amazing all the prep that's going on for the big event. The local news said tonight that Edinburgh City Council invests £1,000,000 to stage the party, but it brings in £27,000,000!!!!!!That's a hefty wee profit for Edinburgh. Daughter has a ticket for it, bit I hope these strong winds don't hinder the event.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 22:22:25 PM by Toky »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 22:32:33 PM »
It's great business for Edinburgh bringing in loads of money, the event is always full of tourists who come for a traditional Scottish Hogmanay, however, most of the people I know who live in Edinburgh go elsewhere to celebrate the New Year.
My daughter lived in Edinburgh for a while and her and all her friends always left the city centre for Hogmanay to celebrate away from the tourists.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 22:37:00 PM »
If the tourists are looking for a traditional Scottish Hogmanay there certainly aren't going to find it in Princes Street :(

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 22:56:19 PM »
I think these days it's just the whole buzz of the place. Torch light processions, Mas pipes and drums, big name bands at Concert in the Gardens, funfairs, incerdible fireworks are all big crowd pullers. To be honest, I dont know anyone who does a "traditional" Hogmanay these days. 
Housewives used to totally clean out the house  to welcome in a New Year. Also to ensure good luck for the house, the "first foot" should be a dark male, and he should bring with him symbolic pieces of coal, shortbread, salt, black bun and a wee dram of whisky.
These days it all seems to be organised functions/gatherings and a lot of the tradition is lost.
Me? I'm doing the Hogmanay disco at our club, and have spent the whole day making up playlists, song sheets, blowing up balloons and making soup!!!!!
  :)

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 16:32:30 PM »
Waste of time and money,the most un Scottish place in Scotland.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 17:54:53 PM »
We're off to an organized event in Glasgow's Merchant Square to bring in the bells. 
It's a first for us as we usually stay home so I'm quite looking forward to something different

Offline grizabella

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 16:07:26 PM »
I enjoyed Hogmannays past in Edinburgh where most of the population met at the Tron Church in the High Street for the bells.After a load of singing,dancing and numerous kisses it was off to 'First Foot' friends and neighbours.You didnt need tickets then to get into Princess Street there were hardly any tourists either,just the locals bringing in the New Year.The local pubs and clubs didnt raise their prices or have an entrance fee either.Happy Days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf