Author Topic: Nuisance calls  (Read 2623 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Nuisance calls
« on: November 06, 2013, 21:59:49 PM »
My Father in law asked me to go round and connect up a new gizmo to his phone to block nuisance calls.
I dutifully went round and opened a box containing a device which at most would have cost a fiver from China.

"Where did you get this" I asked.
"from a guy who rang me asking if I wanted to stop cold calls" came the reply.
That's rich I thought.
"How much was it"

"£79.99 per year for the first 3 years then free from then on in".  :o

Needless to say Mrs B spent 40 minutes on the phone to them today in an attempt to get a refund explaining that she felt they had took advantage of her 76 year old father.
They have told her she has to write in to request one and they will see what they can do. >:(

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Nuisance calls
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 22:06:06 PM »
That's dreadful bewva.

Is the following a stupid idea....

If it is not too personal a matter why don't you post the contact Mrs B has to write to and members who have a mind to can write in also in support of her father.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 23:01:47 PM »
Name and shame them so others don't get conned.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:27:52 AM »
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised/ 
Have a quick look here Bewva - the cooling off period may be relevant

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
How did he pay, Paul? It's a ludicrous amount of money and speaking to the card issuer/bank might at least prevent the next two payments from being taken.

There is a nuisance call phone, which featured on Dragon's Den a while back - fabulous bit of kit, and that was retailing for around one year's payment for this service. Also many new "house" phones have the facility to block numbers from calling.

Or my personal favourite, answer, put it on speaker, put it on the table, carry on with your day.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 13:18:18 PM »
Thanks for the offer of help John, We are putting pen to paper tonight and will see if they 'do the right thing' first.
I will also read up the link you have put on Bluewise.
He paid by card but the card issuer are not interested because he gave the numbers over voluntarily.
I will post the name later.
Problem is he's had it for about 5 weeks.
They have said to send it back with a letter. I am taking that as a bit of a positive in that they at least said send it back.
F in L said he doesn't like to be rude on the phone to these people. ???

Offline marina

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 13:43:29 PM »
This is the trouble bewva - the elderly particularly are so vulnerable to these kind of despicable people because they don't like being rude, or are worried about any repercussions if they are!  I have no problems whatsoever with leaving them hanging on the line talking to themselves or, if all else fails, swearing and putting the phone down.   >:(

But my parents, both going on 90 years of age and still very much 'sound of mind', wouldn't do anything like that despite me telling them no-one is going to 'come and get them'!

It's a shocking story and I hope you manage to get your father-in-law's money refunded and let the rest of us on here know who they are!! 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 14:01:29 PM »
I would also ring my local Trading Standard Office and give them all the details they will check this company out.  Also you can get the Telephone Preference Service free of charge.
If you do return the item, make sure you put your address on the reverse and send it signed for.  Special Delivery is best, it's a bit more expensive, but worth it, keep the parcel under 2 kilos for S.D.
I will keep my fingers crossed you can get a refund.

It seems the elderly are always vulnerable to a bit of slick talk.  My son who is a plumber went out to an old lady whose husband just died.  She is selling the house to move near her family.   She told my son she had a list of jobs, but when he looked there was little to do, but he did change a couple of light bulbs she could not reach.  She then told him a man had knocked at the door and offered to paint her garage door and surround.  She did not ask the price and when he finished he told her it was £1000 cash !!!  My son looked at the door and the paint was already peeling. The guy also told the lady that she would not sell her house unless he painted her small fence and that would be £400. My son told her to always check if workmen are local and well known and also always ask for estimates   He gave her a number of local painter to use.  He said she seemed lonely and he stayed and talked to her for about an hour.  My son thinks he knows who did the painting for her....leave you to guess,they give a mobile number and don't stay in an area too long.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 15:33:11 PM »
And just when you didn't want any further bad news - please also be aware that companies that target the elderly often share the details of those who part with their money. So you need to explain to you pa-in-law that he really does need to get into slamming the phone down because he may be getting even more popular on the blower soon :(

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 21:21:08 PM »
The name of the Company is Telecom Preference Service aka robbing tw*ts who prey on the vulnerable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf