Author Topic: Sit coms  (Read 5038 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Sit coms
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 14:30:32 PM »
I agree 100% echogirl1 - a very funny programme.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 14:39:28 PM »
I think this thread is in danger of being closed down if Gormless Gove gets to hear about it. The Government’s ludicrous Education Secretary has written in the Daily Mail that left-wing academics are denigrating the patriotism, courage and honour of the British during the “just war” of 1914-1918 and perpetuating the myth of an army of lions led by a general staff of donkeys via the sitcom Blackadder.

In his subsequent move, expected next week, he will prove that Dad’s Army is a Troskyist attack on the Home Front during WW2 and ‘Allo, ‘Allo not only derides the French Resistance but also undermines the heroism of British agent parachuted into the Continent to aid opposition by posing as policemen.

As far as the sitcoms polled here are concerned Birds of a Feather is clearly a Maoist-inspired attack on the British prison system and Benidorm is an Anarchist plot to smear the legacy of the great Spanish leader, Franco.

In his review of the teaching of history in our schools Gove will ensure that all of these sitcoms will be rewritten so as not to pollute the minds of our young people. This is a most serious issue and not to be trivialized in petty polls.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 14:49:25 PM »
I thought us Brits just re-wrote history instead?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 14:53:40 PM »
I was thinking about Karennina's post when we went out to walk the dog in gale force winds and horizontal rain just now. Almost without exception I think 'bringing back' old successful sitcoms is a mistake - easy to say when it is obvious so many have failed so miserably. But talk of Calis or Hisaronu (or indeed Uzumlu) as a subject might be different.

As someone who lived abroad for five years, I truly believe Eldorado could work, given another chance. People wanted it to fail from the start and eventually got their way. I never watched it, not even once, but I think expats abroad could be a rich topic to plunder.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 15:17:04 PM »
What would be a good title for this? "Our Little Piece of Paradise" or "Have you Seen the Price of Efes!"?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 15:30:45 PM »
"Colin Told Me He Think's You're a W4nker" was the working title I was going with.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 16:04:18 PM »
Ah, a light frothy show but with deeper, darker, psychological undertones?

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 16:09:21 PM »
Can't believe no ones mentioned probably the funniest sitcom of yesteryear "Early Doors" written by Craig Cash and Phil Mealey, who both starred in it. Set in  "The Grapes" pub. The two "Crime don't crack itself" coppers who used to call in via the back door and drink all the landlords best whiskey were the stars of the show for me, but all in all a fantastic comedy.  ;D ;D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 16:12:50 PM »
Ah, a light frothy show but with deeper, darker, psychological undertones?

Yes, exactly that!

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 20:39:22 PM »
I thought Benidorm was funny for the first couple of series, but now it's done to death and not funny. It seems once a series is funny, the T.V. companies drain the life out of it until it's dead.  Same with Birds of a Feather, why on earth bring that back??  Possibly because no one has any new ideas and all the recent series i.e. Citizen Khan are dire.

Spot on post Jacqui - both of the said sit-coms well past their sell by dates  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf