Author Topic: Vigilance by the Pool  (Read 2477 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Vigilance by the Pool
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »
A couple of days ago, a five-year-old boy almost drowned in the swimming pool at Muzzy's in Kaya.

Mr WB and our current visiting friends and family - a group of eight others - were on hand to witness another customer jump into the pool and pull the lad out after he noticed the child was face-down and motionless.

Fortunately, as soon as he was at the pool side they got him breathing and he coughed up a lot of water, but was absolutely fine (and back in the pool later that day).

Mr WB said he was with his grandparents, who it transpired were happily sitting at the bar enjoying a drink and not keeping an eye on the boy at all. In what world do you let ANY child of that age in the water unsupervised, regardless of whether they are your kin or not? Jeez, my kids are 21 and 15, both strong swimmers, but if we are in the water together I still keep my eye on them to make sure they're ok.

I can not understand at all why thought this was ok when they were responsible for the safety of someone who presumably is very dear to them....I'm just enormously relieved the customer who jumped in was on the ball enough to notice what was happening and that the child was safe.

(Wasn't sure where to post this - the topic isn't about Turkey although the incident happened locally so feel free to move it!)

Offline marina

Re: Vigilance by the Pool
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 14:03:04 PM »
I fully agree WordBird, I too cannot understand how anyone can leave a child of that, or any, age unsupervised while they go off and have a drink at the bar!  It would be unthinkable for me.  Just so glad that someone saw what was happening and the little boy is ok.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 16:00:35 PM »
I fully agree ,supervise at all times,it's just common sense Iam glad the child is okay

Offline patrice

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 16:25:03 PM »
Madness- incompetent parents  >:( :o

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 17:22:50 PM »
there are some silly selfish parents around but Grandparents!!!!!
What would they have said to mum and dad if it hadnt turned out ok and I would be interested to know if they told them about the incident.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »
How horrible but why did that boy not go to hospital?

He should have been under observation for 24 hours to make sure that there was no secondary drowning.

Hopefully he has been lucky and he's okay.

Offline Harmless

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:30:25 AM »
My son in law was the one who jumped in the pool, he and my family  were very shocked afterwards and wondered if the boy had been taken to hospital, as he had inhaled a lot of water.  I will tell them the little boy was back in action later and put their minds to rest.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 21:01:22 PM »
He is to be commended, Harmless. If it hadn't been for his quick thinking there could have been a real tragedy.

I don't understand why the child wasn't taken to hospital either, but my daughter and her friends who were down there in the evening said he was quite ok when they saw him later so at least that's a blessing.

Offline Harmless

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »
Maybe they took him to a doctor for a check up before going back there later.   The most important thing is that he is ok.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 21:06:12 PM »
The fact that he was ok later that day doesn't say anything because secondary drowning can happen up till 24 hours after the incident and can be fatal.

Fortunately we haven't heard anything so I assume he really is okay.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf