Author Topic: A moment of Clarity..  (Read 2041 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

A moment of Clarity..
« on: September 14, 2015, 22:54:48 PM »
Went to Lanzarote for a holiday,havent been anywhere except Turkey (and once to Egypt) in 20 years. How spoilt have we been..The long walk from the airport at Arrecife makes Dalaman look good.  The service received in shops and restaurants and just the general friendly vibe of the place cant be compared to the 'flat' atmosphere of Costa Teguise.  There were times were I felt like I was in an episode of benefit street with all the shouting, and arguing...really not impressed.
There were loads of English kids there too, thought they went back to school first week of September or got fined.
So although I was glad of a sunshine break, I dont feel any where near relaxed and rested as a holiday in Turkey made me feel..saying that the last few weeks of living in Turkey were the saddest and most stressful of my life..so I won't be returning anytime soon.  Holidays will be in 'ourgate' for the forseeable    :)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Re: A moment of Clarity..
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 23:38:25 PM »
..saying that the last few weeks of living in Turkey were the saddest and most stressful of my life..so I won't be returning anytime soon.  Holidays will be in 'ourgate' for the forseeable     :)
Slikmrs, excuse me for not keeping up with your posts but I seem to recall that you had decided to become one of the expats and had made the exciting move. What went wrong? Sorry to hear that you went through what sounds like great difficulties.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it slikmrs.  The only thing the canaries had going for us was the winter sun.  We always found it very expensive too for drinking/eating out.  Also sorry to hear you won't return to Turkey for a holiday.  We're on our last of 10 day break over here and have enjoyed it so much.  The peace and quiet during the day and the lovely strolls and drink-stops each evening.  I feel sad I won't be back for many, many months but something to look forward to at least.  Hope one day you will decide to return for a visit.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 00:06:31 AM »
They have always been like this though - as far back as I can remember. I recall being served prawns that were so undercooked you could see through them, and the manager just shrugging his shoulders and walking off. This was just typical Canaries.

The attitude is pretty much that if you don't come back who cares - someone else will. And in general, they do. It's similar in arrogance to the way Greece became, right up until that bit when they needed us.

I haven't found local friendliness like we experience in Turkey - perhaps with the exception of Mexico. I think it explains why so many of us find it and fall for it. (in a nice way).

Offline thebillet

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 21:43:22 PM »
I know it is a long haul flight  away but the people in Cambodia were truly wonderful and the country itself has so much to offer by way of sights and sounds and very cheap to boot.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
A moment of Clarity..
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 22:58:24 PM »
Absolutely loved Cambodia, more than Thailand and Vietnam.
Think that's where our next trip will be as we only really covered a small area in 10 days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf