Author Topic: Half the year..where to go.  (Read 2787 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Half the year..where to go.
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »
I am looking at spending summer in UK and winter abroad. Any ideas where to go, that is cheap enough to rent a place and live, with a warmer climate.Saying that, I, m sure any changes come the referendum will impact on my decision..

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Half the year..where to go.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 13:20:07 PM »
Spain, particularly away from the main tourist areas on the east coast is a good bet just now.  The south west, Jerez, Cadiz, Sevilla areas are all decent for rentals and the temp is good over the winter - Sevilla a bit cooler, Jerez & Cadiz 13-15c in January.   Flights dirt cheap to Malaga, a couple of hours away but a bit pricier to Sevilla itself.

Its likely we'll be renting a house in the old quarter of Jerez this coming Winter, €400 per month for 160m2 townhouse with parking.  Depends what you're looking for - houses with pools and gardens will be more expensive but, as usual, the further out you go the cheaper it becomes.

Portugal is also good for climate and day to day stuff, but rentals in decent areas tend to be a bit pricey.  Decent places tend to go to locals first, leaving the dregs for foreigners - unless you're happy living in a semi deserted complex in the Algarve over the Winter.

Best advice, wherever you go, is to avoid the ex pat ghettos where all the foreigners live - an imbalance of foreigners/locals always drive prices up. 

JF

Offline scorcher

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 14:11:13 PM »
Sri Lanka - lovely.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 14:16:24 PM »
Thanks John, thought of Cadiz before, sounds good. Rental at that price is ok, impressed you got a house for that.  Don't think there is a car in the budget, so near to some local transport. Not bothered about a pool, but near a beach would be good. Any recommendations for where to rent from would be appreciated. Lots to think about. Bernie

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 14:19:38 PM »
Sri Lanka..perhaps not that far. so what are the pluses for there then Scorcher? I watched a programme of celebs retiring to India recently, not sure I am that adventurous.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 14:25:48 PM »
Fair enough - just a thought. Cadiz is a good choice.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 14:38:24 PM »
Rental at that price is ok, impressed you got a house for that. 

We were lucky.  We've got friends from Istanbul now living in Cadiz - when they found out we were looking to rent they pointed us towards friend of theirs who rents out a house in Jerez.  It's a townhouse - only a small internal courtyard, no garden.  Biggest plus for us is that it has parking!

Saying that, its not under market value by much and Jerez is a lot cheaper than Cadiz.  Stick "se alquila cadiz" into Google and you'll get an idea of whats about.  Se alquila means for rent so just change the town name if you want to search elsewhere. 

JF

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 16:12:24 PM »
Thats great thanks

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 18:55:39 PM »
We are also looking for a four month winter let Jan - April 2017. We spent a month at Conil de la frontera and enjoyed the area and the mild winter weather. If anybody can recommend an agent or such like in the Jerez area it would be appreciated. We would drive down from Bilbao so we have to car.

Our Turkish RP's expire in December 2016 so we plan to come to Kaya for 90 days (Oct to Dec) on a tourist visa.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 19:49:15 PM »
If anybody can recommend an agent or such like in the Jerez area it would be appreciated.

Can't recommend one as we sorted ourselves out privately - however, do as I suggested in the post above, stick "se alquila Jerez" into Google and you'll get plenty of starting points.  English isn't as widely spoken in this area as it is on the Costas or in a big city, but any agent who sees a potential let will no doubt find someone who speaks English if they don't.

Its likely we'll also be there at some point between now and December, I'll PM you if we are as I don't mind making some enquiries for you locally or looking at anything you've found online - as long as it isn't miles away!

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf