Author Topic: Misconceptions  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: Misconceptions
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 23:23:54 PM »
I'm constantly amazed at stuff left unattended here and always think the same thing, 'You wouldn't see that in the UK'.

Helmets and jackets left on motorbikes. Bags of shopping at the market today in the baskets of 3-wheel pushbikes that were not secured to anything. Windows left open in parked cars. A mobile phone and handbag left on the cafe table as the owner of said items went to the loo. Children left in pushchairs outside shops.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:17:16 AM »
The first thing one of my aunts said to me when I told her we were moving here was: "But you'll have to wear a burqa. And put up with goats and chickens running around your kitchen every day."

Ok, we do occasionally get the neighbour's livestock wanding near the garden, but that's as true as her predictions get.....

I just can't persuade her that it's beautiful and not dissimilar to bits of Greece where she has enjoyed previous holidays, even though she's seen my photos on Facebook.
She's convinced I live in a sandy desert run by Arab infidels..... :(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
That was exactly the same first reaction we got when we told our parents, all in their 70s and 80s, that we were moving to Turkey. Sand, desert, Arabs, Camels, fiith, squalor etc.. Even when we sent them pictures of our house, garden and surroundings I don't think they fully believed us.

Offline peter16

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 20:45:13 PM »
Also people seem to forget or do not know  that Midnight Express was filmed in Malta  :o  the extras in the background were nattering away in Maltese etc.  :o  my ex brother in law was one of the "prison guards".

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 23:13:08 PM »
It's about 900 miles from Fethiye to the Syrian border!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 23:17:21 PM »
And a "world" away in respect of conflicts...

JF

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
I'm constantly amazed at stuff left unattended here and always think the same thing, 'You wouldn't see that in the UK'.

Helmets and jackets left on motorbikes. Bags of shopping at the market today in the baskets of 3-wheel pushbikes that were not secured to anything. Windows left open in parked cars. A mobile phone and handbag left on the cafe table as the owner of said items went to the loo. Children left in pushchairs outside shops.

Yeah - but go home and find your house burgled ;-)

To be serious though - yes it's nice that you can risk leaving items unattended but I don't think it's anywhere near as safe to do so as it was 10 or 11 years ago. Especially in the holiday season.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf