Author Topic: Red, Hot and Blue  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Red, Hot and Blue
« on: November 09, 2011, 18:34:22 PM »
Has anyone any ideas on this, please. Some years ago (perhaps 10-12) there was an Aids charity video made of Cole Porter songs sung by contemporary artists who presented each song in their own way. It was brilliant: I especially like David Byrne's "Don't Fence Me In"; Tom Waits extraordinary "It's All Right With Me" (filmed with black and white hand held camera); Annie Lennox' haunting  "Everytime We Say Goodbye"; and Kirsty MacColl & the Pogues wonderful combination "Miss Otis regrets"/"Just One of Those Things". We used to have a video of the programme - now disappeared. Last Christmas I bought the CD - I've just been listening to it. Unfortunately the only DVD available was in US format which seems to be incompatible with UK playing equipment.

So does anyyone know a way that I can enjoy this again with the visuals?

Oh yes, and U2 "Night and Day" is bloody good as well ... and KD Lang ... and Salif Kefte ... well you get the message.

Edit: Doesn't time fly. I checked and found out the original was 21 years ago in 1990.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 19:11:09 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Red, Hot and Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 18:51:33 PM »
Two things to consider as alternatives searching for a Region 2/UK version.

1. You could buy the US (Region 1) version and change your pc's DVD region to region 1 (I think you are allowed to change region 5 times in control panel), copy it, then return the dvd drive to region 2. Then copy the saved file to a blank DVD.

2. You could possibly make your home DVD player region free - this is often done with a combination of specific key presses on the remote control, searching [your dvd player make/model] and region free could well locate this secret code.

Offline Stan

Red, Hot and Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 20:44:27 PM »
Don't know if these sites will help, they are from an oldish MSE which are usually o.k

DVD unlocking is easy, you generally just need to find the multi-region code/hack and tap it into your remote control.

Step 1. Find your DVD unlocking code.

Audio/Video help site http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks has a searchable list of more than 5000 DVD player unlocking hacks, and it's the first place you should check. You simply enter the make and model number of your box, and it'll tell you whether any codes have been submitted for it. If they have, it's a simple matter of following the on-screen instructions, and voila, you're in region-free heaven.

If you can't find it on Videohelp, other similar sites are DVDHacks, AVForums & DVD365.

Step 2. Double-check for negative comments.

Look for comments about your player on these sites, as people tend to report back with their personal experiences and may highlight any potential difficulties. If your player isn't listed, or it's listed as 'never' unlocked, it's still worth running a quick Google search on the make/model plus the word 'hack' or 'unlocking' to see if anything useful comes up. If you're still unsure about the process, try asking the kindly folks on the Techie Stuff board, who are usually more than happy to help.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Red, Hot and Blue
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
Thanks for the technical advice chaps. I think I'll try Stan's first since I can follow a lot of the steps without actually having to buy the DVD first. Possibly. Pity the answer wasn't "Tesco have just started selling them" or something as simple as that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf