Author Topic: Gemiler Beach Cafe - Rip Off !  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Gemiler Beach Cafe - Rip Off !
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 16:53:39 PM »

They probably don't see the remarks on CBF or facebook George, so carry on regardless.

True, but the one thing we (and they) will never know is how much busier they would be if it weren't for CBF, Facebook and similar. I'd like to think they have lost thousands of pounds worth of custom. The only thing we can do is put the information out there.

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 18:41:41 PM »
We had the same thing last year we moored there in a speed boat, we ordered without checking the prices, and was astonished with the bill! I can't remember if it was June or September but it was empty, when she told us the price I realised why! Like many others I won't be giving them any more custom

Offline rusty

• Sunset Beach
  • Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 19:15:51 PM »
Where is this place please?  :)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 22:49:11 PM »
Happened to Jav and I a few days ago at Gemiler.

Never heard of the rip off tactics before but sure as hell we were ripped off. 2 coffees 2 soft drinks and a chicken kebab (which I fed to the local dog) 65 lira.
Such a nice spot but so much litter. Definitely a picnic place and not a place to buy from.

Said we would never go again.  >:(

Went to Patara beach for the first time the other day and thought that was lovely. Beach was spotless and all sand! The beach shack cafe had normal prices. Will definitely be returning.

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »
Where is this place please?   :)

Take the dolmus from Hisaronu that goes to Kaykoya. Stay on the dolmus till the end. You have to pay to virtually get off the bus at this point. Don't sit on a sun bed, eat or drink anything that you haven't brought with you. Those women can be fairly aggressive. My advice, get off at the ghost town, and enjoy.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
We've exposed many a scam here on CBF and it has affected those trying to rip our members off greatly in some cases. This operation is the exception, we've been writing about it for years, and still they are there, still ripping people off.

This was the main reason I set CBF up, so us trusting Brits/Europeans can pool information on the good - and the bad. I sugeest we "redouble our efforts" on this one - post in any Facebook group that may be relevant, make it a sentence in every Fethiye reply on Tripadvisor, use it when a lull in a conversation comes when talking to newly found folk when over there.

The reason I suspect they have ridden this since what...2006...is that falling popularity is being compensated for with incredible profit levels from those still falling victim. It's bad for tourists, it's bad for our area and it's bad for all the honest good guys in Turkey.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
Surely it must be worth bringing this to the attention of the local Muhtar? After all, many businesses in Kaya are working so hard to develop it as an arts and culture location. Whether through it's history or art and literature, there are many things on offer in Kaya that isn't available elsewhere. In my opinion, these women are destroying what others are striving to create. Very quickly a message saying "stay away from Gemiler" can be created which will have an inevitable knock on effect to Kaya. The reality is that both of these are wonderful locations that don't need this bunch of thieves.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
I think you'll find that the newly elected Kaya Muhtar is well aware of the "Gemiler Scam" and it's effect on the area. Whether or not he is inclined, or even able, to do anything about it is another matter. Unfortunately the people running the site in question are still very influential in the area as they are closely related to a former Muhtar. There have been several visits to the site over the years by the Jandarma who have ended up doing nothing after spending quite a long time there, investigating complaints and "taking refreshments".   ;)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »
I agree with the fact that this needs bringing to everyones attention. The shame is that there are two places at Gemiler. I have a friend who loves Gemiler and goes every week. The Cafe on the left as you arrive is NOT a rip off place. It is run by a great guy and prices are what you would expect.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
The cafe on the left was run by the outgoing muktar and has now closed. I'm going to Gemiler this afternoon and will try and find out what the latest info is if any.

donM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf