Author Topic: Gold is it a bargain in Turkey?  (Read 5898 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Gold is it a bargain in Turkey?
« on: September 20, 2010, 23:32:53 PM »
We had a wander up the street in Calis after a meal one evening.  We looked into Onur Jewellery and I bought a nice silver bracelet to take home for my daughter.  I then saw a 9 ct gold baby bracelet and being a new Grandmother I asked to see it.  It had little blue Turkish eyes in it.  I asked  the price, now being in my business I know what gold is making per gram.  The guy weighed it, and I noted it was 4 grams which I calculated would be about £38.00-£40.00  (although I knew the little eyes where not gold but would add to the weight). He told me it was very cheap £100.00.  I was amazed and I told him it was far too much money. He said  it was my Grandchild and I should not worry about the money. I still said it was too much.   He said it was the last price and put it back in the case.  I know I could buy an antique baby bracelet for about half this price in the U.K.   Incidentally, the current gold price for 4 grams is £36.00  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 23:40:18 PM »
I don't think it is Jacqui, I agree with you. I think it was, very much so, but in the last couple of years most definitely not.

Offline peecee

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:52:53 AM »
Bearing in mind it was only 9ct think I would agree with Jacqui, way too expensive.  Pure gold is around $1279 an ounce at the mo.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
I didn't realise they sold 9ct in Turkey. All the stuff I have bought over the years has been minimum 14ct.I used to buy loads at good prices but don't bother so much now the prices have gone up.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »
Don't forget £36 is the value of the gold as scrap. Surely you would expect to pay something for the workmanship and the fact he has to make a profit?

We thought gold in Fethiye was very expensive as well but I think it's just a fact of life now that gold is worth much more and you pay extra if you want it to be made into nice jewelery. People will pay £100+ for a Links of London or Pandora silver bracelet which is probably worth around £10 - £15 scrap.

Compared to the UK though Turkey is not cheap for silver or gold jewelery any more.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:45:24 AM by stoop »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »
The problem is that it isn't about the price of gold in Turkey, it's about the price of gold compared with the price of gold in the UK. As gold prices go up that differential shouldn't have disappeared, but it has. In fact, the price difference should be even more apparent as prices become bigger numbers. I wonder why the gap has closed, could it possibly be greed? Surely not. Expect to see some gold shops close over the next 12 months.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
Stoop, I fully expected the shop to make a profit so paying, say £60.00 would have been fine with me, but £100 was just greedy!!
Another point is, British Gold is much higher quality than foreign gold, which is why, at auction a British piece will always make more money.  I always notice, when a Foreign piece comes up at Auction the Jewellery buyers will never bid as much money, they always want to see British Hallmarks on pieces.

Offline Robw

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 15:48:25 PM »
14ct Gold in just under £15 a Gram scrap according to this website

http://www.lois-jewellery.com/Todays%20Prices.htm

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 16:07:09 PM »
This site is for Hallmarked Gold... Turkish Gold is not Hallmarked.
Also the baby bracelet had a lot of little blue eyes in it which were not gold, but were heavy and included in the weight.

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 01:29:14 AM »
It doesn't really matter what the gold is worth it is the workmanship and the fact it is a shop he has to make a profit you wouldn't go in to furniture store and then complain that the wood and material costs only came to half or a third of what they were selling it for
haveing said that I have a gold watch that is now worth twice the price I paye'd for it in turkey and it makes no difference if it is hallmarked gold is gold

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf