Author Topic: Are "Gullible" Tourists still being lied to at Air  (Read 3621 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Are "Gullible" Tourists still being lied to at Air
« on: July 12, 2011, 13:23:33 PM »
Loz & I sometimes watch the programmes involving British airports, & are always amazed at the amount of tourists returning from Turkey with four thousand cigarettes in their baggage, who are amazed when Customs confiscate them!! Now, we know for certain,that Duty Free staff at Dalaman ARE telling Britain bound tourists that they are allowed to take up to this amount of cigarettes back into the U.K. only to have them taken at British Airports. Why cannot something be done about this at source, i.e. Turkey, or are people REALLY so gullible, (or greedy), to accept that this is a total fallacy?
One of very close friends actually, (very surprisingly to us),fell for this, & had ALL of his Duty Free taken at Gatport Airwick!!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 13:30:12 PM »
They must know the rules and if not it's their own fault.

By the way did you know that gullible is not a real word and is not in the OED.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 13:32:27 PM »
Yes Gordy I posted about this a couple of years ago and I tell everyone I overhear being told they can take 800 fags or even as many as they like. You are right, people are that gullible, some are that greedy, but I think many believe when facing UK customs at their arrival airport, that "the guy at Dalaman duty free said it was ok" will get them through, with all their fags. Obviously, it won't, idiots.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 13:35:54 PM »
Didn't know that H, personally, if in doubt, I always refer to the Ancient Dictionary of Borrowstouness !! : :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 13:40:01 PM »
Alot of people don't Gordon but all they need do is look for themselves.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 13:40:24 PM »
I think most tourists check how many cigarettes they can take back to the U.K. They just take a chance their bags will not be searched.  A friend of ours was telling us he knew the limits but was told that the Customs at Glasgow would not check his bags.  He bought back 2,000 cigarettes from Marmaris as did a lot of people on his flight.  When they reached Glasgow the Customs announced they were having an amnesty and had a large container for people to put their cigarettes in.  If they did not everyone was going to be searched. Apparently thousands of cigarettes went into the "honesty box"

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 13:57:10 PM »
A friend came over last year, and when she went back, the Duty Free staff lied to her, and she took a large amount of cigarettes and tobacco back to the UK.  later, I went to the UK and she asked me to bring her the same amount of cigarettes and tobacco.  I asked a chap working in Duty Free how much I was allowed to take into UK,  felt sure he was telling me a whopper.  I made enquiries, and finally found out from a fellow traveller that he was giving me bad info.  So I took what I was allowed.  I then had to explain to my friend why I hadn't brought the huge amount of stuff she had managed to get through.  I am sure to this day that she thinks I  made a mistake and let her down.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 16:40:31 PM »
Family returned to UK last week from dalaman to uk airport and took 2.5KG of tobacco with them  - wasnt the 'old holburn' type either.

Offline milliemars

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 16:55:42 PM »
I remeber when I first came to Turkey our Rep told us not to try and take more than 200 cigarettes out,as all bags were being scanned,and any extra cigarettes would be confiscated.How things have changed now they cannot sell you enough.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 18:17:22 PM »
This is not just Turkey it applies to anywhere outside the EU.  
So why do they sell packs of 1000.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf