Author Topic: But Daaaad, you said you weren't going to buy another "project"!  (Read 41893 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
After many months of discussion (and research) between ourselves, with input from friends and family, it was decided that we were going to buy something in Spain that was pretty much moveable into straight away.

Several reasons for that decision, the main being that its just simply easier!  Lesser reasons such as all the hassle involved doing a refurb, my dodgy athritic hip and the fact we've refurbed so many Victorian and Georgian properties over the years that its really not fun anymore.

So, off to Jerez and within three days at the beginning of July we sorted out our bank account, our NIE number, a nice rental flat and put a deposit down on a 400m2 traditional Jerezana neighbourhood house.  In need of some work.  Well, being truthful, in need of a lot of work.

But you know, when you look at property sometimes a place has that 'feel'.  You know its a good fit for you, despite the fact its structurally and cosmetically on its knees.  We've been here before many times and always trusted our gut  when it comes to property - so far instinct (coupled with common sense) hasn't let us down.

I think most folks knew that buying a property requiring minimal work just isn't us - and the reaction from our girls when they seen the pics was positive.

So... fast forward a few weeks and we're now resident in Jerez.

Drove from Dundee over four days via London, Poitiers and Burgos.  Two thousand miles or so and our battered old CMax didnt miss a beat. 

London was great as we managed to catch up with frinds we hadn't seen for months, Poitiers was a bit of a dump (at least the area we stayed in) but Burgos was a pleasant surprise.  Beuatiful city with friendly locals and the food and drink was excellent.  Prices similar to Jerez, e.g. €1 or so for a beer, €2/2.5 for a generously sized tapa.

The French and Spanish motorways are a dream to drive on - rarely busy and once into Spain, the services have cheap diesel, good coffee and the quality of food puts the UK services to shame. Paid a total of about €120 in tolls, well worth it for the rapid progress you can make as opposed to the free roads which are pretty congested.

Got the air con re-gassed before we left and that turned out to be an extremely sensible decision.  The temperatures in central Spain during our run were crazy, high thirties/low forties all the way. 

Luckily it was a dry heat, unlike the sweaty humid heat of Istanbul in summer so aclimatising came fairly easily. 

Home for now is a 77m2 two bed rental apartment, with two good sized bathrooms and three terraces.  Unforunately the three terraces are all internal so the view is reminiscent of nineteen seventies Moscow.  Its not a biggie though, we'll be getting the keys for our house in a week or so and wont have too much time to laze about a terrace.

I've said it before, but dealing with officialdom in Spain is so similar to Turkey it's uncanny.  We were all geared up for a specific date to get the keys and then sorry, the Notar is on holiday it'll have to be week after.

Bugger.

Burası España!

More when I can.

JF

Offline marina

Re: But Daaaad, you said you weren't going to buy another "project"!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
Good luck with your venture John. We still love Spain, especially the older traditional areas, of which there are still many about.
Look forward to your next instalment   :)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
Wow John. I can almost picture your place. Good luck to you and yours. You will keep posting on CBF ...won't you?

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
Good luck in Spain.. Be happy but don't forget us on here.. Especially us sitting in the rain most days... Xx

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 13:08:17 PM »
Sounds like its all coming together nicely..cant wait for pics.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 14:17:27 PM »
All the best in Spain. With the £ being so weedy and the € being so muscular hope you've got a good stake - I'm sure you have.

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 15:24:16 PM »
It's great to read what you're up to.  Do keep us informed and enjoy your days.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 15:26:33 PM »
Fascinating John - please keep us informed.

Best wishes for a bright future.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »
Thanks folks.

Yeah I'll still be around, can't manage to break the Turkish connection as still doing consultancy work in Istanbul.  How long for I don't know as they can't seem to grasp the "semi retirement" concept   :)  My biggest gripe there is the price of flights from Malaga to Istanbul, no cheap deals (even with THY) unless you book three and a half years in advance.

The weak pound has cost us a few bob, but we knew that from the outset (immediately post brexit vote) and planned accordingly.  The best currency transfer agent we've found, for converting larger sums, is currenciesdirect.com - very efficient and always a few points above everyone else.  But that was just for our individual situation, they may not be the best for TRY conversion and transfer.

JF

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Good luck with it all. Look forward to following progress.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf