Author Topic: Tripadvisor - do you believe half of the reviews?  (Read 12383 times)

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
Re: Tripadvisor - do you believe half of the reviews?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 07:06:37 AM »
I was not accusing Scunner of snobbery, but thought he was accusing me of it!  As a coal miner's daughter from Barnsley who failed her 11+ that Iis hardly likely!
If I were to post on a Turkish website, it would soon be apparent that Turkish was not my first language;  I was simply pointing out that if there were to be a fake review of a Turkish hotel or restaurant (from a friend or rival) it would be far more likely to be written by a Turk, although not necessarily.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »
Rest assured, you're unlikely to meet anyone as common as Scunner.  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
Salt of the Earth me

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »
I wouldn't believe anything that Scunner bloke wrote - it will probably be tongue in cheek.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:29:47 AM by Colwyn »

Offline Christie

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
re Trip Advisor - we do put reviews on and we do look at reviews to check out what people think.  However, sometimes we see reviews of places we have been and cannot believe they were in the same hotel.  Have just read one on a hotel we go to in Spain, it is right on the promenade and the reviewer thought it was in the 'wrong place' and had 'a bit of beach' in front.  The beach which is deep, and has beautiful soft sand is 5 miles long ! 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
By the way, the Hisaronu Ritz does a lovely Stuffed Calves Tongue in Cheek.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »
We stayed in a fabulous hotel in Venice - lovely views across the basin and literally a minute along from St Marks' Square.

One TA reviewer slated it, saying the furniture was old fashioned and the whole place needed modernising.

Offline madmart

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 14:59:50 PM »
We stayed in a fabulous hotel in Venice - lovely views across the basin and literally a minute along from St Marks' Square.

One TA reviewer slated it, saying the furniture was old fashioned and the whole place needed modernising.

Could have been worse they might have moaned about the flooded roads!

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2016, 15:19:36 PM »
I'm a self - confessed, serial reader of reviews. Trip Advisor, Booking.com, Hotels.com. local area forums on the internet etc.  I wade through pretty much all of them when planning to go somewhere new for a week or two.

I'm the same with buying stuff  - "Which" magazine and their online reviews are an essential part of my buying process.

As Mercury said, it's the bad reviews that remain with me. I'll then check the poster's other reviews to try to determine their "neutrality".

Suggested room choices in a particular hotel are always interesting as are the features about things to do in the area.

Restaurant reviews, whether here or abroad, are an absolute must. If enough people give top marks and write informatively about good food quality and high service standards, I will go out of my way to try that place.

Having retired, I try to get away a few times each year and every trip is planned as best as I can to minimise disappointment

I scrimp and save to have the best time I can afford and the "research" is, for me, a wholly enjoyable part.

There's always going to be a few exploratory days to wander off and take a chance with somewhere new.

With Trip Advisor particularly, I check the reviewer as much as the review.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 16:09:15 PM »
There's only so much you can do with choosing on sight/appearance - not least being in a position to see them in the first place. Choosing 'in person' is something I am not bad at, I can get a feel for a place just by walking past (and sometimes a bad feeling within a minute of being seated).

But using this method I doubt I would have stumbled upon the likes of King's Garden for example, to even be in a position to weigh it up. And places like Mozaik Bahce, I might (but probably wouldn't) walk past if I was on holiday in Fethiye once and once alone, and if I did, would I be able to tell that it was one of the most recommended in Fethiye - probably not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf