Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 13883 times)

Offline Lotty

Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
Well I have just had my first 'pulling' experience, 20 minutes is a very long time to have COCONUT OIL in your mouth! I have to say I almost bawked after just a couple of minutes. I persevered though. It's not very pleasant and your mouth creates it's own natural saliva making it even more to hold and not swallow! (I just had to edit here as it was sounding a bit smutty). This is coconut oil pulling I'm describing. The bright side for your partner is that you can't speak for all that time! However much fun it is for them to try and make you!   ;)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 14:10:13 PM »
Well you know they always say you get used to something with practise, Lotty.

Do let us know how you go on. You should maybe take a snap of your gnashers now and again in a couple of weeks/month so that you can compare (you don't have to show us).

My Mum has a tendency to suffer with mouth ulcers a couple of times a year and I have heard coconut oil mouth pulling, because of the antiseptic quality of the oil, can work really well in preventing these.

If nothing else, Lotty, you will have the cleanest, oiliest, nuttiest-flavour gob in your neck of the woods.  :D

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »
Not sure if it is the same but I have been buying pure coconut which if left out of the fridge in the warm weather turns into oil When it is solid just put a small piece in your hand and within seconds it will become liquid which I use as a face cream but it is fantastic for many other things . Dry skin especially .I have been buying this for years from the Sister's Place in Fethiye fish market at 10 lira for a small jar. Bet he will have sold out by the time I go for my next lot !!!!!! Perhaps I should not have posted this .

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 08:18:01 AM »
I was going to pop to Sisters Place last night to pick up a bottle but by coincidence my order from Gittigidiyor was already waiting for me at the restaurant.

Last night I used it as my face cream which felt really nice and absorbed easily and this morning I had my first attempt at mouth pulling.

After the initial feeling of revulsion at putting just a flat teaspoon amount of solidified oil in my mouth it went surprisingly well. I took a small bowl with me just in case I felt the need to urgently expel and went back to bed and read my book while swishing it around my mouth and through my teeth. I had already decided that 5-10 minutes would be enough having conveniently read that somewhere but I actually managed twenty minutes quite easily. The taste was not so unpleasant and the texture ok as soon as it had melted which was almost immediately.

Using just a small amount is key as it does generate quite a lot of saliva but that was more than manageable and it was very cloudy when I eventually spat it out, full of millions of bacteria and germs.

I usually have a fresh fruit milk shake in the mornings so I'm going to add a small amount into the mix as I don't really like meals made with coconut and there are lots of health benefits from consuming it too.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
I read on google that a rounded dessert spoon or even a tablespoon was the amount, which actually makes it a lot in your mouth. I've done it again and it was easier this time as I was concentrating on doing something else in the twenty minutes of pulling. I had my bath and all that stuff. I will try next with just a teaspoon. It makes sense if just swishing around the mouth and it'll last a lot longer too! I have green health drinks but I already add coconut water in mine. My daughter uses the oil on her skin and psoriasis areas. It's very soothing. You can cook/fry with it too I've not tried it but it's supposed to be delicious.   :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Lotty most sites I read said a teaspoon for pulling but to eat up to a tablespoon a day, working up from a teaspoon as it's a lot for the body to deal with to start with. I'm not sure I'll go that far but a little a day will be plenty I'm sure.

How does your daughter find it for psoriasis as I read that it was good for this but not how effective.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 13:44:53 PM »
Great for Thai food cooking. We use it all the time. Stir fries as well.

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 20:28:02 PM »
Nichola  I have a friend with psoriasis and she uses Manuka honey which she finds extremely good  but can imagine that coconut oil would be well worth trying . I had a sore spot on my leg from where it got scratched on a rose bush and I used the coconut  on that and it worked fine .The more you read about its benefits it really is a very versatile substance.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 23:05:20 PM »
Nichola, my daughters complaint is on her head, I don't think it's actually psoriasis, just a similar long term skin problem but she finds coconut oil (in a tube?) relieves the irritation. She can only do that at night really or she'd have to go out looking like she'd dipped her head in a chip pan! It seems like an amazing product, a veritable panacea! ;D

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »
Is anyone still mouth pulling with coconut oil?

I have been doing it religiously every morning now for almost three months and am pleased with the results. I am sure my teeth are whiter and I barely notice that I am doing it now it has become so routine.

I add some every day to my fresh fruit shake but haven't particularly noticed any benefits to the size of my abdomen. I still get asked about three times a week if I'm pregnant, which I am not! As you will see from the photo I have always had a belly and I doubt if that is ever going to change    ;)

I am also please with my supply that I get from gitti gidiyor and have continued to use them since my first purchase; thanks to Dutchie for the recommendation.

PS an Efes on me to the first person that can name that beach   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf