Author Topic: Luggage  (Read 8559 times)

Offline LeeGlo

Re: Luggage
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 13:41:25 PM »
Can't we put laptops phones etc in hold luggage now?

Not if you want to keep them. Some friends came over for a holiday and one case went missing. She still didn't get it back after returning home. If you value it - hang on to it - TIGHT.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 13:43:12 PM »
No problem Slikmrs, your plane awaits, have a good flight  8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 14:12:35 PM »

Not if you want to keep them. Some friends came over for a holiday and one case went missing. She still didn't get it back after returning home. If you value it - hang on to it - TIGHT.

I recall a Jet2 flight where everyone had hand baggage (Jet2's fault for charging for checked in luggage) and there was no overhead locker space left. They insisted those who couldn't find a space gave their bags to the crew, to go in the hold. One passenger was absolutely furious about this and was saying she didn't want to be parted from it. At the time I wondered why she made such a fuss. Now I know.

Offline makemwonder

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 20:05:06 PM »
 According to a watchdog program some time ago where holiday insurance was under scrutiny the advice given was if you leave your camera, laptop, jewellery etc. in your hold luggage it is not covered by your insurance ! only clothes, shoes etc. should be in the hold baggage your expensive equipment should be kept with you when travelling as it is a prime target for theft during transport once it goes through ex-ray they have the pick of whatever they desire. the suitcase video shown on here was also played on the same program. I have never risked leaving my camera or laptop in hold luggage since for fear of it not being covered.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 22:45:47 PM »
Our newest case locks (not the zip type) and also has a keyhole (TSA) for the USA customs to open it if the wish. I think many cases are putting these on now.

We've always steered clear of the zip type as we have never really trusted them.

It's not this one but is very similar (and much cheaper at our local Designer Outlet Centre in York)

http://www.samsonite.co.uk/aeris-spinner-68cm-25inch-racing-green/product-en.htm?or=5633539942

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 22:51:04 PM »
According to a watchdog program some time ago where holiday insurance was under scrutiny the advice given was if you leave your camera, laptop, jewellery etc. in your hold luggage it is not covered by your insurance

Which gives the question of what happens if Jet2 or Easyjet insist on putting your hand baggage in the hold?

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »
Our newest case locks (not the zip type) and also has a keyhole (TSA) for the USA customs to open it if the wish. I think many cases are putting these on now.

We've always steered clear of the zip type as we have never really trusted them.

It's not this one but is very similar (and much cheaper at our local Designer Outlet Centre in York)

http://www.samsonite.co.uk/aeris-spinner-68cm-25inch-racing-green/product-en.htm?or=5633539942

I have in the past used similar good quality 'hard shell' cases but none have survived unscathed from the 'considerate' way they are handled once they were out of my possession.

There is also the matter of weight.
With the airlines cutting down on weight allowances several years ago I opted to use lighter 'soft' cases or holdalls, dependant on the purpose of the trip.

When I go back to the UK, the current Mrs Hamlet usually gives me a shopping list to bring back that would take me to the limit if using a 'hard shell' case, but by using the lighter case (2.5kg), it allows me to bring something that I might want as well  :)

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
According to a watchdog program some time ago where holiday insurance was under scrutiny the advice given was if you leave your camera, laptop, jewellery etc. in your hold luggage it is not covered by your insurance

Which gives the question of what happens if Jet2 or Easyjet insist on putting your hand baggage in the hold?

Presumably you would have a year long battle with the airline & the insurer for compensation & if you are lucky you might end up with a 'free' sandwich & coffee voucher for your next flight, date restrictions, routes and based on 8 people flying together of course   ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:28:11 AM »
Hamlet.

We still use our original Samsonite cases (hard shell with combi locks) .

Just discussing with Maggie when we got them and we think it was when we first went to Florida in 1994!

They've been all over the world with us and are still in good nick. We've only just bought an updated model due to wanting spinner wheels. It will be interesting to see how it fairs in comparison.

I can't praise Samsonite enough. Expensive but buy from an outlet and you will get a great deal.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:36 AM »
I'm not advocating that anyone risk their valuables in suitcases as a matter of course, but just as an antidote to the stories where things have gone wrong.....

During our move this year we have safely transported two flat-screen HD televisions, a PS3, a PS2, a Wii, two laptops, two tablets and a quantity of camera equipment via our flights with Jet2. There was just no way we could have got it all in our hand luggage!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf