Author Topic: Worried Daughter  (Read 1947 times)

Offline bootsbrew

« on: October 21, 2007, 15:01:44 PM »
My parents are moving to Ovacik in February and I am worried about health care.  They are renting an apartment and don't have a lot of money.  They are over 60 and smoke.  I am so worried about health care and insurance.    Could you give me any information about this?

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Worried Daughter
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 17:44:49 PM »
try baris insurance in fethiye he adverties in the land of lights

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Worried Daughter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 18:10:21 PM »
it is nigh on impossible to get medical insurance in Turkey for anyone  expat 60 or over, the alternative is to try the more expensive private insurance from UK, the catch 22 is that you will have to have a UK residence, registered with uk doctor and on the electoral role.

some time back I did see an advert for a company based in Exeter offering expat medical insurance,  I sent off out of curiosity for a quote, came back over £4.5k for the both of us, now as long as I keep the premiums up after Gordon is 60 we are covered, cost for th 2 of us approx £400. www.aviva.com  in Fethiye near to the cinema.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 18:15:09 PM by loz »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Worried Daughter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 05:44:07 AM »
Deja Vu ?

Medical care in Turkey varies by region, just like anywhere else in the world.

If your parents are moving to one of the areas where there is already an established ex-pat community they'll find that health care is fairly well catered for. There are very few GPs or community doctors. Most work privately and are required to spend a proportion of their time working at state hospitals.

Most towns have a "Medical District" where you'll find the majority of hospitals, doctor's surgeries and pharmacies within a few hundred square metres of each other. Each doctor's office has a sign outside describing their speciality. (Strangely enough, in Fethiye, the "Medical District" is very heavily populated by Solicitors too).

Many ex-pats living in Turkey don't bother with insurance and either attend government run hospitals or privately run ones.

In comparison to UK private health care, the private hospitals in Turkey are very cheap.

Also, dentistry in Turkey is to a very high standard, and again compared to the UK, very cheap.

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Worried Daughter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 21:30:52 PM »
I used the private hostpital in Fethiye in August and found it far superior to our local NHS hosp. in the UK and inexpensive too. Good luck to your parents on thier move.

Elsa

Offline bootsbrew

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:10:52 AM »
Thank you all very much for your comments, very much appreciated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf