Author Topic: Doctors costs  (Read 1773 times)

Offline kevin b

Doctors costs
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
What is the cost to see a Doctor if you do not have health insurance.Is health insurance expensive.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Doctors costs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 15:30:36 PM »
There isn't a G.P if that is what you mean Kevin. It's usually a trip to the Esnaf or other hospital. Consultaion fee is usually about 50TL (depending on which u see of course). Then treatment and prescription charges on top. Depending on your age health insurance is quite expensive. If you come to live here I would suggest a contingency fund.

Offline wickwilly

Doctors costs
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 21:04:57 PM »
Depends on what doctor you wish to see.I woke up one morning and was unable to see out of my right eye. Went to the Esnaf, diagnosed detached retina. Cost of diagnosis 50 ytl.Only 3 doctors in Turkey can perform this operation.Went to the one who works in Bursa.Medical check up,2 nights private ward in private clinic, 1 hour operation, laser treatment after operation and laser treatment on other eye to prevent same problem, 3 folllow up check ups.total cost 5000 YTL (approx 2000 pounds when operation was done). Can now see reasonably well out of the eye, almost as good as before the problem. Same treatment in private hospital in the UK about 3 times as much. Unlikely you would get it done on the national health in the short time scale that you have to avoid blindness.

WW

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Doctors costs
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 21:39:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by wickwilly

Unlikely you would get it done on the national health in the short time scale that you have to avoid blindness.

WW

Good service wickwilly.
A friend of mine had this happen and waited to go to doc.  he lost the sight of one eye.
He later discovered that he should have gone to A+E as a detached retina is classed as an emergency and he would have been operated on straight away.

Offline hazel dorrington

Doctors costs
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 16:27:37 PM »
Had to visit the Doctor in Calis at Saglik Medical Centre on Baris Manco Bulvari. Had excellent treatment. Initially quite expensive but 2 follow up appointments that I wasn't charged for.  The Doctor even drove me to the chemist to get my prescription and then insisted on driving me home as he said it was too hot for me to walk.
I returned to England for a short time, it took me 2 weeks to get an appointment with my local Doctor who barely gave me the time of day. On my return to Calis the Doctor insisted on checking me out and said I needed another course of antibiotics. I only had to pay for the prescription. So very impressed.

Offline Alan Keating

Doctors costs
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 13:54:23 PM »
Health insurance can be as costly as you wish, it depends on the level of cover you want/need. It also depends on age, you must be under 64 to start, it further depends on your current medical condition. None of this should be any surprise, it is the same as most places.
We took ours out via a trusted agent in Fethiye, the costs are in the region of £250.00 per year for a "middle" package. There are discounts for subsequent years if claims are under 4 per year. Clearly it will depend on all of the above if you intend to time there; it works for us. I trust this helps.  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf