Author Topic: Sunday Express July 22  (Read 4032 times)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Sunday Express July 22
« on: July 22, 2007, 10:23:24 AM »
A half page article appears in today's Sunday Express entitled 'Nationalists target British holiday homes in Turkey'.... goes on to say that British Property owners could be the biggest losers in today's turkish elections if nationalists win enough votes to enter parliament.  Talks about the resentment that the Turks feel to Brits owning property and pricing them out of the game.   Scarey words such as 'Nationalism in Turky is growing.  It is xenophobic, anti-western and anti christian, a dangerous mix that could spell trouble'.....    Quotes an estate agent in Kusadasi as saying 'Sales have been down for a couple of months because people are worried.'. and states that Antalya is virtually empty as people prefer to stay in privately owned homes than hotels.  A very one sided piece of journalism and wouldn't have helped the turkish or their economy in any way.

Why oh why do they do it ?

Umm, something for us to mull over.....

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:30:19 AM »
Sounds like it was written by a Spanish estate agent looking for business

Offline Sleuth

Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
Having read it, I would say its quite`frightening`!! Certainly if I was considering buying a property in Turkey at this moment that article would be enough for me to look elsewhere.Its the `kiss of death` to prospective buyers in Turkey if anyone reads  it  :-(
We have been thinking and predicting this scenario could one day happen for a long time now in Turkey..we own a property in Turkey and whatever happens in the future, we will just have to come to terms with it, as, and if it ever  happens.We have heard recently stories of disgruntled Hotel owners complaining of dwindling numbers and blaming property owners and renters etc.. Also Turkey`s fading hopes of joining the EU increasing and causing an anti western feeling. But targetting British holiday homes owners is a bit toooooo direct :-(
Anyway, I suggest you all  try and read the article , it is quite worrying ( and its a half page ) maybe we should all hope that this `Turkish nationalist party`(MHP) dont gain any ground and obtain power as a result of the election.

I am by nature a pessimist... but somebody please read this article and tell me its just `sabre rattling` or the Reporter is misinformed or whatever

Offline sannyrut

Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »
I haven't read the article,but the comments attributed to it,do seem worrying.However,I am reliably informed from a Turkish person,that if any party gets in that the army doesn't like then they will take over.They prefer the way that things are.If such a thing does happen,the Turkish economy would collapse.Did Alistair Campbell write the article[?]

Offline Sleuth

Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »
No   it  was a  Helena Smith   based in Istanbul

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:28:39 AM »
 :)Think its a case of wait and see,or what can been done if this is the case, but you usually find that if things happen in one area, such as Kusadasi, they usually follow suit, I know my friends , who live in Marmaris have said the bottom has fell out of the property market there,and there are many more Brits living there than in Calis. Another friend cant sell his property even at a greatly reduced price. But chin up, this might not be the case.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 17:09:11 PM »
We own a property and we bought it because we could afford to and thankfully didn't have to borrow money to do it, hence why we bought a one bed roomed apt outright as opposed to a large villa and getting ourselves in debt for the privilege. If we wanted to sell, all we would be bothered about would be that we didn't lose money on it. I may be a bit naive here but I don't think that's going to happen somehow.
We love our place because it's ours, we worked hard to get it and get tremendous enjoyment out of it, rather like an expensive toy.

I'm not remotely concerned about this article but thanks for sharing the info on the article which I have read

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 17:11:06 PM »
The army have publically stated that they will defend Secularism to the hilt! Yes they will take over if it is required to keep Turkey a secular state. It's still sounds serious though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 17:12:54 PM by stoop »

Offline Marg

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 17:40:30 PM »
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/

Real time results coming in. Ruling party comfortably in the lead at present with 55% of the votes counted.

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Sunday Express July 22
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 19:09:29 PM »
It was so obvious that the Express would come out with something like this with the general election happening in Turkey its topical. I just had a look on wikipedia to see what it says about The Sunday Express...

"Non-newsworthy front pages"
The Daily Express often dedicates its front page to stories that would appear to rotate around several key themes including; house prices, food scares, miracle medical cures and the weather. These front pages are generally not based on a major news story of the day and are often sexed up with spurious headlines with little factual content to follow, for example 'The Secret Killer in our Food' - creating a front page headline about the dangers of hydrogenated vegetable oil in food or 'The Amazing Protein Diet' creating a front page headline about ketosis. Both such medical stories would appear to have been in the public domain in some form for several years making it hard to see how they could be worthy of newspaper front pages. House prices or inheritance tax stories also appear to be extremely popular, e.g.'House Prices to Rise by 50%'.

Nicknames for the Daily Express include Daily Excess and Daily Sexpress, due to its ownership by Richard Desmond, and also its tendency to print a lot of pictures of attractive young women, especially murder victims, and a lot of sex-related "non-news" stories.

So don't worry folks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf