Author Topic: police crackdown on under 16s in bars/  (Read 8012 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
police crackdown on under 16s in bars/
« on: August 11, 2007, 17:55:30 PM »
I was in Shamrock Bar last night around 10.50pm, when 6 uniformed police officers & 2 plain- clothes officers entered & proceeded to count the youngsters in the bar. The senior officer then had a "right go" at the Turkish barman in charge, pointing out that there were 6 youngsters in the bar ,who were obviously under 16 years of age, which apparently is against the law here? I later had a conversation regarding this, with my friend, Gökhan, who assured me that this is indeed true, and bar-owners can be fined very heavily, & closed down for a time.

Pardon my looking on the bleak side of things, but, surely this could lead to a further down-turn to tourism in Turkey? If a family come here on holiday, surely they would prefer to have their kids near to them at all times, & that means in bars etc. { Always bearing in mind what happened in Portugal]
Gordy.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 18:04:02 PM »
Must be a bit difficult to judge in the case of pool-side bars etc. When are the kids deemed to be in the bar and, when just beside the pool ?

Offline kismetbar

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 18:26:52 PM »
You have just said what I was thinking KKOB. Where is the line? If we have kids in the bar garden, is that allowed? Do we then not allow them to use the toilets because they have to go into the bar??
I don't think Gordy is looking at the bleak side of things - sadly it's a reality! When will the authorities wake up?
Gordy - can you clarify? Were these youngsters with their parents??

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 18:28:38 PM »
Definately a downside to it, I know many families who go to Calis for that very reason,could it be in light of recent reports about young girls being followed,and were the girls with adults, I have seen teenagers drunk and it makes me worry for them.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 20:03:33 PM »
I would assume that whether or not these youngsters were being served alcohol or not would perhaps have some relevance, as it would in the UK?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 20:15:30 PM »
Apparently not, now I was not listen closely to Gordon, (no young children just Gordon: :) and I dont drink alcohol) but this is how I understood it.

the policeman pointed and counted 6 or 8 under 16's then said they should not be at the bar, Gordon queried this with the Turkish friend, do you mean at the bar or in the bar, the Turkish translation is a little lost, but it mean in the bar, unless they are having a meal and it is a restaurant.

In the UK (long time now) but the rule was you could have children in the bar as long as they were having a meal and there was a seperate place for this, they could also have a glass of wine with the meal, but apparently what they are saying is, in Turkey NO children in a bar, ask if ok if they are dining and you get the typical answer here of a "shrug" and "maybe"

Now is this the old double standard rising his ugly head, Turkish owned bars, were they raided?  or is this because it is a foriegn owned bar?
Or
has there been a problem and a scape goat is being sought.  strange that 6-8 officers some wearing protected jackets should appear.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 20:28:22 PM »
Scunner's point is a good one (I know it's not like him ;)).

I just wonder, if the police are going to adopt this attitude, where they will draw the line. Will they bar 14/15 year old, but allow 8/9 year olds or very young children in push chairs.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 20:28:55 PM by Highlander »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 20:38:25 PM »
My kids have been more than welcome in EVERY bar and restaurant we have taken them to, which is part of the reason I asked if it were more to do with alcohol than age alone. Not that they appeared to check who was drinking what [:o]

My opinion, sadly, is that a non-Turkish owned bar will be allowed to do averagely well or badly. 'Popular' is not an option that will be tolerated for long.

Anyone thinking to invest in a bar, FORGET IT! You will never make enough money here.  You will not sell enough Efes to cover your rent, and you certainly won't become rich through it!

In order to make good earnings from a bar related plan, work out your annual costs, including all rent and takeover (goodwill) payments , and stick that amount in the bank.

You will never get close to making that amount of interest while trying to earn a living on the 20p profit an Efes brings  ;)

So, in short, don't be British running a bar in Turkey  :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 20:52:55 PM »
Scunner - I hope you didn't think my last posts was directed at your kids. It certainly wasn't, I was making a general point.

Sorry for "chatting" - just wanted to put the record straight.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 21:03:05 PM »
ok this is going off topic but what the hell, it is too hot!

Bars in the UK, to make them work at a profit you have to keep a very very tight fist on the profit margins, 56%GP wet led and at least65+%dry led, then the stock control, I have yet to see any stock control in Turkey, then you have to weigh up the the percentage of take against the staff, then the daily monthly yearly overheads, the business tax and rents in the UK are less expensive than Turkey.
Take all the above on board, and unless you live frugal, and have a very healthy dry (food) outlet and extremely good reliable and trustworthy staff, then yes forget it!!!

Back on Topic.
How will Hisaronu/Olu Deniz cope?  or is this an isolated incident, maybe this is Fethiye gripe because they did not get into the top 19 towns to earn the status of Province? (meow!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf