Author Topic: Trips, Companies or Dolmus from Fethiye?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline sarah d

Trips, Companies or Dolmus from Fethiye?
« on: July 22, 2016, 17:10:51 PM »
Hi all
We have been coming to Calis 5 years now, but despite always having the intention to, we have never made it to Saklikent Gorge yet.  We will do this next month. Do any of you recommend trips there or just getting a bus from Fethiye? Your help would be as always appreciated  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Trips, Companies or Dolmus from Fethiye?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 17:39:09 PM »
Personally I prefer getting a dolmus from behind the big white mosque in Fethiye. Then you can spend as little or as much time as you want at the many interesting places along the route.

If you really want to go with one of the trip companies, I'd recommend going with Karacay. http://karacayturizm.com/

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 17:58:57 PM »
I would get the dolmus too.  That way there are no carpet factories or gold shops to stop at on the way home

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 19:06:37 PM »
Dolmus for me too, that way there are no stupid & potentially dangerous, waterfights

Offline sarah d

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the info guys I think I will go via dolmus route  :)

Offline Steve A

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »
When we first started goin we used the tour companies for everything as our kids were younger so we did the jeep safari,quad,white water rafting etc.However we now much prefer to do our own thing using the dolmus to get everywhere sometimes jumping off without a plan just because a place looks interesting etc.
Dolmus every time for us

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
One day a friend of mine decided to drive to Tlos. He wasn't sure of the way but saw a Fethiye-Tlos dolmus and decided to follow it. After about twenty minutes the dolmus came to a cottage and pulled into the yard. It was then that my friend realized the dolmus driver was going home for his lunch.

Offline Somerset Simon

Trips, Companies or Dolmus from Fethiye?
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 15:53:28 PM »
My son is coming out tomorrow and hasn't been to Saklikent for a few years, can anyone confirm how regular the dolmus runs and last time back as he is planning to visit, i seem to recall 8.5 lira but that may be wrong?

Offline IanK

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 17:41:19 PM »
I would definitely go on your own rather than on a trip as I don't believe you will get to see it all otherwise.

We went on our own (by car) and were still heading into the gorge whilst others on trips were turning back for their bus.

You didn't mention driving, but for the sake of maybe £25 you can easily explore the gorge and Tilos in the same day on your own timetable.

Ian

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 17:58:08 PM »
Below is a "Turkish Tale" I posted almost exactly 12 years ago and refers back to Saklikent 1997. It was our first time in Turkey and we were very naive. Today I know that what we did is rather silly - see the warning after the tale.

Saklikent Gorge

On our first visit to Çaliş Hilary and I went with our two daughters. The younger one had her fifteenth birthday when we were there and the manager of the hotel restaurant (Hulki at the Bambu) took us all out in his car on his day off. We went to Saklikent and the five of us set off up the gorge. First we waded through the freezing water at the bottom of the gorge, and then walked up the easier river bed for some way. After half an hour or so the numbers of people began to thin out, and the river bed got more difficult, but still we went on following our guide. At one point we had to climb a ten foot boulder with cold water running over it. Once we were over this obstacle I asked, "How much further does this gorge go?". Hulki said, "I have no idea. I have never gone this far before!". I think we had all been driven by national pride; neither Brit nor Turk wanting to show weakness by quitting. Now we agreed to turn back and quickly slipped and slid over the rocks back to the bottom and went to dry out at one of the platform restaurants built over the river at the mouth of the gorge. Then we spent some time eating trout and drinking Efes/coke and watching the energetic folk doing white-water rafting. A great day.

WARNING. If there is a sudden thunderstorm in the mountains you probably won't hear it and it could well cause a flash flood through the gorge. If you are deep into the gorge, as we were, your chances of getting out may be rather small. None of us knew that then.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf