Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 291373 times)

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #1170 on: August 10, 2018, 17:30:49 PM »
I've changed a little money in fethiye today at the change office as we were worried incase we couldn't get any for a few days as we are here on holiday. 7.10 at the office many rumours of over 8tl to the £, but not actually found anyone who's got that amount.

Offline freebee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #1171 on: August 10, 2018, 18:05:33 PM »
keep looking the rate is 8.25 in UK

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1172 on: August 10, 2018, 18:14:49 PM »
8 by Friday    ;)

Jeez I was only joking!!

I need to be careful what I say in public   ;)

Offline madmart

« Reply #1173 on: August 11, 2018, 01:53:27 AM »
Reg was obviously  very pleased with his son-in-law's handling of the economy today.

They both look as if they've realised the only answer is to get Diane Abbot in to help them.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1174 on: August 11, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »
I saw posts from several different people on Facebook who said they had gone or will be going to get their money changed into lira for next year’s holiday while the rate was so high

<sigh>

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1175 on: August 11, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
If it's on Facebook, it must be the right thing to do.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1176 on: August 11, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »
Im sooo fed up of seeing all the posts about where can folk buy tl at the highest price and how some are gutted as they bought when it hit 5 or 6 and now they have lost x amount of tl by buying at the lower rate...
Seriously surely “ the wee fella” and his s.i.l are going to have to intervene very soon now and do something, I dont pretend to understand the financial markets but I do know this is really bad for Turkey, couldnt believe the speed of watching it fall yesterday sad times  :(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1177 on: August 11, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
Unfortunately, some folks cannot see past how many more Efes they'll get for their money.  There's nothing wrong with that if you're a casual tourist to Turkey who has no connection to the country other than as a holiday destination on the odd occasion.

The damage being done to the economy, and peoples lives, just now is disgraceful.  The government has decided to go head to head with the US over Pastor Brunson (and allegedly reneged on an agreed deal) and the US is flexing its financial and trade muscles.  To quote the all powerful and supreme leader:

Those who have dollars, euros or gold under their pillows [savings at home] should go and exchange them with the [Turkish] lira. This is a national struggle. This will be my nation’s response to those who have declared an economic war.

We will work a lot and we will try to make our country more modern with all of its 81 provinces, God willing. Just know that we are better than yesterday now, and tomorrow we will be better than today. Don’t worry.

There are various campaigns. Don’t care about them. And don’t forget that if they have their dollars, we have our people and our God ... I want your patience and ardour."

Man goes into shop to buy groceries.

Cashier: 375tl please, how do you wish to pay?

Man: ...God?

(shamelessly lifted from twitter)

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1178 on: August 11, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »
Cashier: 375tl please, how do you wish to pay?

Man: ...Quickly?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1179 on: August 11, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »
There's a lot of talk about the hardship for the local people - is there really though? Those who voted AKP are often likely to be more self sufficient with their own tomato plants and chickens etc - how does the exchange rate affect them?

The big hits are yet to come - the businesses that expanded massively on borrowed money that will be simply unable to repay their dollar loans due to the payments more than doubling - they will become nonviable and with that mass job losses and closure.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf