Author Topic: Fethiye Ampitheatre  (Read 8135 times)

Offline Hamlet

Fethiye Ampitheatre
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »
Here is a photo showing the latest state of play with the reconstruction.

I do think that the ice cream seller is a little early putting his umbrella up though!  8)

Offline batman

Re: Fethiye Ampitheatre
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 17:33:55 PM »
We were there last week and my wife thinks they have ruined it ! To much new stonework.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 18:22:10 PM »
There is a guy on T.A.  who goes mad if anyone calls it an Amphitheatre.  He corrects everyone and says it.s not an Amphitheatre.  Apparently, it is just a Theatre.  I had no idea, because this is what I always called it.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 19:01:40 PM »
Well. the guy on T.A. (Trip Advisor, I take it ?) is TOTALLY WRONG. The word Amphitheatre comes , obviously, from the Greek;  Amphi, meaning " "on both sides" , and Theatron, meaning " place for viewing ". Let him stick that in his pipe and smoke it !!  One thing that is never open to argument is the Ancient Greek language, at least not to us scholars of such things !!  8)  :angel:

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 19:41:42 PM »
Yes Gordon, he explained all that, but he gives a long explanation on why it's not an Ampitheatre. The next time he posts I will let you know..

Offline IanK

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 13:22:03 PM »
I think the guy on TA is correct.

The Greeks built theatres, the Romans built amphitheatres - as Gordon says, Amphi, means " "on both sides"  - which technically means an oval or circular theatre like the Colosseum in Rome.

However, the word amphitheatres has evolved and is now used to describe both types.

I will now take cover!

Ian

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 13:46:02 PM »
Hey! I only posted the photos to show how it was progressing not to start a war!

From now on I'll just refer to it as 'the area in which stone seating is being laid out in a curved shape'  :'(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 14:07:19 PM »
Well. the guy on T.A. (Trip Advisor, I take it ?) is TOTALLY WRONG. The word Amphitheatre comes , obviously, from the Greek;  Amphi, meaning " "on both sides" , and Theatron, meaning " place for viewing ". Let him stick that in his pipe and smoke it !!  One thing that is never open to argument is the Ancient Greek language, at least not to us scholars of such things !!  8) :angel:

How can he be wrong when you have pretty much agreed with his definition?  Disregarding the modern usage of the term amphitheatre, the Telmessos theatre is only "a place for viewing" as is it neither circular/oval nor surrounded on both sides. 

JF

Offline scorcher

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 15:33:10 PM »
Looks like the panto season is upon us already.  : :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 15:53:16 PM »
JohnF, how the devil can one be surrounded on BOTH sides ??  ???  Surely surrounded means totally enclosed within a circle ? If one takes a look at the Amphitheatre in Fethiye, it is blatantly obvious that it has indeed a left wing/side, a right wing/side, meeting toward the rear !!

Scorcher, " He's behind you !! "     ;) 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf